Beach Day

It was a hot, sunny day today. The perfect day to head to the beach. One of my favorite things about summer is taking the opportunity to enjoy a day away - a cheap vacation - and the luxury of sleeping in my own bed at night. But it's more fun to go with someone.

I started out a little early, and dropped off some pop bottles, so we could pay for some of the parking. Then I headed over to my in-laws. The girls were very excited. They had all their stuff together, [iPods and sunglasses] and were sitting in their vehicle, waiting to go. The dogs asked politely, with sloppy tongues if they could accompany us, but we said "It's girls only today. Sorry."

We weren't exactly sure where we were going. I was the navigator. I said we were heading to one beach, but we ended up at this one by taking a different turn. It didn't matter. We were happy to get out and enjoy the sunshine, and the company.

I always enjoy spending time with my mother-in-law. We have lots to talk about, and because she has been inducted into the family, as was I, we compare notes and laugh about the idiosyncrasies of the male population of the family.

The girls went off to discover the ocean. The tide was out, and it was perfect for discovering the intricacies of sea life.


A beach date is never complete without a lunch you'd never have at home. We had enough to stay a few days. It's best to be prepared for anything.



While we were having lunch, one of us asked "Does the train ever come by here?" I have been to this beach many times, and have never seen it passing by. We talked about the old fashioned train that used to travel through this way, and wondered if they'd all been discontinued.
Imagine our delight when we heard the whistle. We waved to the engineer (he waved back) and watched it pass - it was a long one, although I didn't count the cars.



Then it was off for more discovery, and flying the kites (not much wind, so the kite needed a lot of manual labour).





The afternoon went so quickly. Before we knew it, it was time to go off in search of ice cream, and souvenirs. There were lots of stores. And lots of people. And lots of choices. And so little time. After carefully considering how to spend the rest of the pop-bottle money, we went back to the van for the return trip. We were sandy, salty, and pleasantly tired.

Thanks for the great day girls! Hope we get to do it again

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom