At the moment, I'm keeping my husband company, while he watches the semi-finals of the World Cup Soccer Tournament. I'm still in my jammies - although it is already well into the afternoon. It is day three of my July holiday.

The first of July was a great taste of the holiday to come. I got to go to the parade with my #1 son, and wave at all the floats, and enjoy the community atmosphere. We had a great vantage point. The only thing was, that the candy ran a little thin by the time they got to us, so we didn't clean up as much as we normally do. My son kept the crowd entertained by yelling random things to the parade entrants.

"Thanks for coming to my parade, I really appreciate your support",

and




"I'm 100% for whatever cause you are representing".

And when the candy-throwers actually looked like they had some goods, he yelled to the little kids "ATTACK!" It's been a few years since he went to a parade.
I had one more day of work, and then I started my week-long vacation. I'm having a really good time. I didn't make any major plans. I've heard it's called a 'stay-cation'. The first few days were taken up with getting the boys where they were going for the month. It was a little heart-wrenching to know that we were going to have to be practice 'empty nesters', so I busied myself with fussing about opening up bank accounts, and making sure they had clean underwear. I felt more at ease when they both got where they were going, safe and sound (sauf et sain).

The weather is terrific. I picked a great week to be off. It is sunny and warm, for the first time in about six weeks. I'm taking advantage of it by going to several places with water. I got to enjoy a kayaking adventure on our local lake with a friend whose company I enjoy, but rarely get to see. I also went to a park with a creek, with another friend and her little guy. It was lots of fun watching him exploring the new environment, picking up leaves and rocks for his 'collection', and chasing butterflies. He was very brave, and splashed around in the cold water for a long time. We watched him throw rocks, and he and his mom ventured a little ways into the 'slip and slide clay' which was farther on down the creek. We finished by playing at the playground, and I got such a kick out of him on the teeter-totter (see-saw). Every time he went up, he called out "Hi Aunti Marni!" and we both waved wildly at each other.


Of course, I like to catch up on some of the 'to-do' list while I have some leisure time. I have filled out forms for various claims, done a couple rounds of laundry, phoned a friend or two, and started making a 'to-do' list for our impending move. The time in the condo is coming to an end, and it requires figuring out what to do with the stuff we have kept to survive the interim move. Anyone need a free couch? Anyone want a few plants to take care of until we are 'settled'?

And no holiday would be complete without watching some movies. We rented a couple of chick flicks and adventure movies to complete the first few nights of leisure, and then last night, the extended family got together, and enjoyed a trip to the cinema together - complete with popcorn and drinks. It was great fun to see the movie, but even better to be together, hanging out for the evening.

What do I have planned for the rest of my 'stay-cation'? Well, right now, I think I'm going to curl up with a book and read for a while, and then I'm going to venture out to mail some letters and fax over a form that needs attention. And later this week, I have a beach trip planned with my sisters-in-law, and my mother-in-law. I'm 'in the moment' and enjoying myself. I love vacation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom