My Most Excellent Mother's Day

I am not really a fan of Mother's Day. I find it very stressful. This is a day which is supposed to be about celebrating women and enjoying family. However, I find it creates a perfect storm within me. It always has the sting of missing my own mother and the pang of knowing I am not being the mother I should be.

However, it comes around once a year whether I'm ready or not. So this year, I came armed with a little idea about how I would enjoy the day.

First of all, I started a few days before, by buying some lavender bath sachets I'd made with a few of my groups. I had fun giving them to some special women in my life. To each of them, I said a personal thanks for what they meant to me.



On Mother's Day, I asked myself out on a date. I was pleased to be asked, and I said "Yes of course". I went and got one of these,



and then took myself to a local park. I walked for a little bit and then sat and watched the happenings on the lake.

There were fishermen, and ducks, and geese, and turtles. The pathway nearby brought many types of people - families, friends, strollers, dogs, neighbours, rollerblades, and runners. I sat for a very long time and took it all in. By the time I left, I noticed that I could actually smell the pine trees.



This little mom and her duckling came by with their friend. I watched the drama unfold, as the mom was chased away by other, more aggressive ducks. Her baby was left behind, and hid in the bushes. She finally made her way back after many minutes. She started calling for him, and he came out of hiding. That's when the other ducks noticed she was in their territory again. There was a flurry of wings and splashing as they chased her away again. I didn't stay long enough to see if she was able to sneak her baby out of there. I realized that although I felt I was in an idyllic setting on that day, nature is not as forgiving as I imagine.

I loved soaking up the sun, but knew if I stayed too long, I'd get a headache. So I took myself to the mall. I had fun trying on clothes and shoes that I had no intention of buying. I made a few mental notes about things which might catch my interest on a return trip, when I had my gift cards handy.

Then I wandered into Sears. The lady at the front gave me a carnation. And a card with a coupon for 20% off if I would spend my grocery money on clothes. I thanked her and made my way into the store. I was in the make up department when a cute young lady came and asked if I needed help. I stood there awkwardly, and then finally said "I want someone to do my make up". "Well, come and sit in my chair and I'll do your makeup" she said, without hesitation.

So there I sat for about forty minutes. She fussed over me. She used lots of moisturizer. And she used lots of cover up. When she was patting concealer under my eyes for the twentieth time, I resisted the urge to ask her "Making any progress?". To her credit, she seemed to understand that I was there for a good time, and didn't want to spend any money. She didn't try to sell me anything. She told me nothing about the products she was using. It was perfect. Another day, I might go back and find out, but that day, I was there to enjoy being pampered and pretending that I had my own 'in house' makeup artist.



I had just left the store, when my husband called to see where I was. They had all been sleeping when I left home. He seemed very pleased that what he was doing for me on Mother's Day was "taking the children" for me. (Those teenagers need a lot of supervision). I wandered home and then we went out for a drive to The Pokeaway. I took my magazine and sat out in the sun and read, while the boys rode the motorbike, and my husband did some more dreaming about the house.

Then we joined the extended family for dinner. There was lots of food and drinks and the hockey game was on. People wandered in and out, getting cool, then warming up, chatting, putting food on the table, then putting it away again, and chatting some more in between.

Soon, we left to go back home. And Mother's Day 2010 was over. It was a most excellent day.

Comments

Joy said…
Now THAT's what I call a real mother's day! You sure know how to celebrate!

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom