M.O.T.H.E.R. #3

Mothers have all sorts of "Momisms". My own mother would wander around some days muttering "Oh that I had wings of a dove, then would I fly away and be at rest." Other days, she would say "Give me the tools and I'll do the job".

I suppose you would have to ask my kids about my "Momisms". One particular one comes to mind, at the moment.

One day, I got tired of hearing whining. As kids do, mine were whining about "That's not fair", and "How come he gets....and I don't?" and "That's not fair" again.

After one more bout of "How come he gets..... and I don't", I snapped "Because I love him more than I love you. " The look on the face of the whining child was incredulous. Did their mom really admit this out loud? She actually had a favorite? And it wasn't the whining one?

Guilt poured through my soul, and I assured the whiner that this was not true, but it was tiresome to have to defend my position all the time, and that's why I said what I said.

Later, this "Momism" became a bit more positive. I would try to 'catch' the kids doing something really great, and say out loud, in front of everyone "You're my favorite, but don't tell the others."

This one stuck. It is true. Each one of my children is my favorite. Their unique personalities have evolved and become enmeshed in my heart. I am blessed.

Comments

clwl said…
and THEY are blessed to have a mom as smart as you!

love always,
clwl

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom