Pulling out the Welcome Mat



Every once in a while, I get to be a guest. One of these occasions was on a trip that my sister and I made to visit some very good friends of hers. Although they didn't know me well, they made me feel very welcome.

Our hosts had a spare bedroom that my sister and I shared. The second night we were there, the security alarm woke my sister up. She got up to find out what it was. I woke up because she woke up. Together, we listened to it's soft beep. Every ten seconds or so, it would sound. It was soft enough not to wake anyone else up, but loud enough that neither of us could go back to sleep. We talked quietly about what our options were. Finally, I suggested that she go and wake up our hosts because we didn't know if it was something that was a security issue or not. I would have done it, but they were her friends and I thought she'd have better luck. (Besides, I usually try to send her to do the dirty work)

So off she padded down the hall to their room.
She stood at their door and whispered "Dave." No answer.

"Dave." Still no answer. [beeping continued]

Finally she whispered it a little louder. "Dave." No answer. [beeping continued, and my sister stood quietly for a little while, wondering what to do...]

Finally, she whispered it quite loudly. "DAVE."


He woke up with the last "DAVE" . He came to the door and she explained what was happening. He checked out the alarm. The alarm company was called. The mystery was solved. The answer was that the battery in the alarm was low, which accounted for the soft beeping which woke us up. He disarmed the alarm for the time being. She thanked him, and they both went back to their beds.

When she returned to our room, my sister informed me of what had happened. It was now well into the middle of the night. And I got the giggles. I began to think of all the things a house guest could do to annoy the host.

My sister wanted to know what had struck me so funny. I said (in between giggling as softly as I could) "Let's wait (giggle giggle).... until he falls asleep again ....and then go back to their bedroom (giggle giggle) ...and ask for something else...a glass of water, another blanket.. (giggle giggle) ...and then just as he goes to sleep again, we'll think of something else.... (giggle giggle)".

I couldn't stop laughing. "Yeah, we'll be the house guests no one will invite back."

It took me a long time to settle down. The potential scenario repeated in my mind.

Padding down the hallway...

"Dave." "Dave." "Dave." . "DAVE!"
"I was just wondering if you would mind adjusting the thermometer. It's a little chilly." ...

"Dave." "Dave." . "DAVE!" DAVE!" "I'm hearing a noise. I think it might be a mouse."

"Dave." "Dave." "Dave." . "DAVE!" "DO you have extra toilet paper somewhere?"


This phrase "Dave." "Dave." "Dave." "Dave!" has become a private joke between my sister and me. Whenever the topic comes up, I try it out and it always produces the desired effect.

I think after we left, these hosts might have hung up the sign:


"All our guests give us pleasure. Some by coming,some by going."

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've laughed my way through this post.
Love it
So you!
So good at finding fun in nothing... fun in the middle of the night, fun with words...

thanks for the pick me up

DAVE, c-dub

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom