My Fantastic Olympic Adventure
This is the story of my our Olympic Adventure. First, let me start by saying that I am a history buff. I like to be part of historic events. I remember where I was when Lady Di married Prince Charles. I recall the trial of Ollie North. I loved being part of Expo '86.
So when it came to the Olympics, I wanted to be part of it. I didn't need to have tickets to any events. I didn't even try to get them. But as the excitement grew, (and it started for me when I found out that my first cousin was chosen to be a torch bearer for part of its run across the country) my dream to be a part of something historic grew in my heart. It was even more attractive because it was happening in my own back yard, .
My spring break happened to be at the same time. My boys had a day off on one of the Fridays as well, even though they attend a different school. So I slated that day for 'The Olympic Adventure'.

However, as things turned out, we were not able to get into town that day. I was so disappointed because my window was now closed. The flame was doused and I had not been able to see it in person. I tried not to complain, but couple of times I caught myself lamenting the fact that the Olympics were now over, and I hadn't been a part of them. Then last week, we went to the airport and I saw these:

It was a small comfort to me that I had actually seen the Olympic rings up close, if not personal.
The next day, my #2 son was involved in a soccer tournament. The games were placed so far apart, we had to kill some time. We started by going out for lunch with the gang after the game. Still, we had almost three and half hours before the next game started.
I suddenly saw my window of opportunity. We were close enough to hop on the Sky Train and make our way down to the Cauldron - which happily for me, had been re-lit while the Paralympics were on. My son graciously consented to coming with me, so off we went.
We met some people on the Sky Train, who suggested we get off a few stops earlier if we wanted to see the "Olympic Superstore". So that's what we did. We got off and found ourselves in the middle of the sale -seekers. Everything Olympic was discounted. We picked up a few to take home. Nothing much, just a little something to put on the fridge and a jacket or two. We made our way through the pin collectors (holding our noses just a little because they'd been there a very long time, and they were obviously not concerned about body odor)

Finally, after standing in line to buy the souvenirs, we got up to the cash register, where we discovered they only accepted "Visa" and "Cash". I didn't have either. So we compromised and took a picture of the souvenirs and left them in the store.

Then we made our way down to the Cauldron. Time was passing. We walked and walked...we passed this igloo (seeming vaguely out of place)...

took a picture of this building so we could show my other son that we'd tried to find the jacket he liked in the store, but they were all sold out...

and eventually got down to the waterfront. There were lots of people there who were doing the same thing we were doing- taking pictures of their Olympic experience. We traded cameras with a few people and I couldn't resist taking a picture of my son taking a picture of these German tourists.

With a cheery farewell, we made our way back to the Sky Train, in time for the next soccer game. I can't even begin to tell you how happy I was that I got to be part of this adventure. It made my whole weekend memorable. I am now part of the history books.
So when it came to the Olympics, I wanted to be part of it. I didn't need to have tickets to any events. I didn't even try to get them. But as the excitement grew, (and it started for me when I found out that my first cousin was chosen to be a torch bearer for part of its run across the country) my dream to be a part of something historic grew in my heart. It was even more attractive because it was happening in my own back yard, .
My spring break happened to be at the same time. My boys had a day off on one of the Fridays as well, even though they attend a different school. So I slated that day for 'The Olympic Adventure'.
However, as things turned out, we were not able to get into town that day. I was so disappointed because my window was now closed. The flame was doused and I had not been able to see it in person. I tried not to complain, but couple of times I caught myself lamenting the fact that the Olympics were now over, and I hadn't been a part of them. Then last week, we went to the airport and I saw these:
It was a small comfort to me that I had actually seen the Olympic rings up close, if not personal.
The next day, my #2 son was involved in a soccer tournament. The games were placed so far apart, we had to kill some time. We started by going out for lunch with the gang after the game. Still, we had almost three and half hours before the next game started.
I suddenly saw my window of opportunity. We were close enough to hop on the Sky Train and make our way down to the Cauldron - which happily for me, had been re-lit while the Paralympics were on. My son graciously consented to coming with me, so off we went.
We met some people on the Sky Train, who suggested we get off a few stops earlier if we wanted to see the "Olympic Superstore". So that's what we did. We got off and found ourselves in the middle of the sale -seekers. Everything Olympic was discounted. We picked up a few to take home. Nothing much, just a little something to put on the fridge and a jacket or two. We made our way through the pin collectors (holding our noses just a little because they'd been there a very long time, and they were obviously not concerned about body odor)
Finally, after standing in line to buy the souvenirs, we got up to the cash register, where we discovered they only accepted "Visa" and "Cash". I didn't have either. So we compromised and took a picture of the souvenirs and left them in the store.
Then we made our way down to the Cauldron. Time was passing. We walked and walked...we passed this igloo (seeming vaguely out of place)...
took a picture of this building so we could show my other son that we'd tried to find the jacket he liked in the store, but they were all sold out...
and eventually got down to the waterfront. There were lots of people there who were doing the same thing we were doing- taking pictures of their Olympic experience. We traded cameras with a few people and I couldn't resist taking a picture of my son taking a picture of these German tourists.
With a cheery farewell, we made our way back to the Sky Train, in time for the next soccer game. I can't even begin to tell you how happy I was that I got to be part of this adventure. It made my whole weekend memorable. I am now part of the history books.
Comments