Countdown

I am feeling very blessed today. This was a week I had not really looked forward to. It is the first week in our marriage that my husband has gone away without me for an extended period of time. This was no overnight-er or weekend-er. It was a full 10 days. Usually, it is me who flies the coop and leaves him with all the extra responsibilities.

Anyone who has read this blog for any amount of time, may be aware that I am always trying to find ways to distract myself from worry. I felt the tentacles of worry creeping up on me as I faced the separation. They were threatening my well-being. So I adopted the mantra: "Don't borrow trouble" for these days when I am on my own. It has turned out to be a week of blessing.

The first blessing came in the form of my daughter. It has been great to be roommates this week. We've shared meals, movies and grocery responsibilities. It was nice to come home, and know that there was someone who would be waiting for me, or would soon join me. It was fun to watch shows like "The Oscars" with her, and discuss the outfits and speeches.

She brought her cat with her. The cat has been better than an alarm clock. She has found the plastic bag in my cupboard (this discovery happened at 3:45 a.m.) and has made herself at home on my bed every morning - rediscovering some of her favorite spots - usually close to my face.

Another blessing came in the form of weather patterns which were fierce in the morning, and subsided by the time I arrived to feed the sheep and pick up shingles. No sheep has died on my watch. No lamb has been lost in the neighbourhood (they fit under the fence) as of yet. And all the shingles are piled in the dumpster, ready to be taken away. It was my goal to get this done, as a "welcome-home" surprise.

I also have been blessed with visits with some important people in my life. One night, I had to stay late to help out with a 'fun night' for one of my jobs. I invited myself over to one of my favorite non-relatives and we hung out until it was time for me to go back to work. Another night, I got to enjoy a chick flick with a girlfriend. Another day, my in-laws came over to help me with the last of the shingles. We visited as we picked them up and put them in the dumpster. And last night, I enjoyed a dinner out with work pals. When we walked out of the restaurant, we saw the cherry trees in full bloom, all adorned with white twinkle lights. It was so pretty and festive. As I drove home I thought again, of how fortunate I am to work with people who are just as fine friends as they are work companions.

I am truly blessed.

Comments

Joy said…
Re. worry: I remember clear as day standing outside the "new dorm" at Bingham years ago talking to your mom. I don't remember what the subject was, but I remember her quoting "sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." I have thought of that quote often and found it to be true!

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom