Love, Love, Love #2


I was casting around for ideas for this post and thought I'd looke up quotes on love. One site I investigated had quotes from A-Z. Here's what I found interesting: Love Quotes outnumbered (by a large margin) every other subject except for Proverbs.

Love is a topic which everyone loves to talk about, and on which no one is an expert It is the butterfly of relationships - when you think you 'have it' the butterfly has alighted on another flower. But because it is so crucial for us, we still seek it and analyze it, take joy in it and mourn it.

But rather than reinvent the philosophical wheel of love, I will just share some of my 'love' stories. They illustrate love very well on their own.

  • One Christmas, when I was struggling to provide the basics for my family because of severe financial strain, a friend showed up with a platter of fresh-baked buns, cold meats and cheese, and other baking. To this day, I don't know if she had any idea of what dire straits we were in, but her thoughtful act of love made the difference between food on the table for us, and nothing at all.

  • After minor surgery, another friend spent the day "with" me and made sure that I was warm enough, that I had some toast and tea and any other provisions I needed. She never said a thing about how many times I repeated myself about how great the nursing care was at the hospital, as I came out of the anaesthetic. She just smiled and let me say it again.

  • My husband and I worked out a system of dealing with kids throwing up in the middle of the night. He dealt with it, and I started the washing machine.

  • My youngest son made me a leather bracelet for my birthday. He gave it to me after returning from a work-week at camp; which spoke volumes about the fact that he'd thought of me on my birthday, even though he wasn't at home.

  • My daughter texts me to see how my day is going.

  • My #1 son gets out of the van, grabs his backpack, and thanks me for giving him a ride and finishes with "I love you" before he closes the van door.
Although it's not a scientific survey, and by no means exhaustive, just writing these down, makes me realize again, pomp and circmstance do not preceed love. Love often comes in the back door it's glasses on. It is observant and practical. Humility joins hands with love, on its journey. Both make a big impact on the receiver. The treasure given remains to be 'pondered in the heart', and re-told to others when the topic of love comes up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom