
Tonight, my son and I went shopping for groceries. Although we didn't go to load up the cart, we ended up with a trunkful. We got the basics and a picked up a few extra,s thrown in for good measure. As we loaded it into the van, a man came up to us and said he was trying to find money for groceries and wondered if we could help him out. His fingers were stained with nicotine and it looked as if he was missing a few teeth.
I don't know what you think about this dilemma, but my personal policy is that if I have some groceries to share, I will. I have had occasions where people who ask for help, take my groceries and then deposit them in the garbage. Others walk away, hide the groceries, and immediately approach the next person for money.
I try to give the groceries in good faith, because I honestly don't know what has led these people to have to beg for food and money. I haven't always been treated in kind, but I try not to judge. There have been times when we ourselves have been very close to the bone too; although we have never had to beg for money from people in the parking lot.
Tonight the fellow took the bread and the bananas I offered and took off across the parking lot. I watched him meet his lady and keep walking. I breathed a little prayer for them both, that they would find some lasting satisfaction.
Comments