Pullin' Nails

Today we pulled nails. Lots of them. . Some were insanely long. Some were insanely hard to pull because their little heads popped off before the job was finished. Many weren't even nails. Lots of what held the house together was screws. All kinds of them. We also pulled insulation. We made the pile outside even bigger. Then we stacked all the garbage we'd exposed in the bin , swept up, and went back to our temporary abode. Dusty, and dirty, and looking like a little like we had faded into the drywall.
There are many layers to a house this age. When we first looked at the house, it had wallpaper and paint. Now after many hours of hard labour, it is mainly boards and studs. Covered up windows are now just exposed wood. Water damaged insulation has been discarded. Wires which go nowhere are visible, and completely unservicable pipes are unmasked.
We've found lots of hidden treasure. There were pennies and hair dryers behind studs, baseball cards under the flooring, and Yahtzee in ceiling. We've uncovered bad construction, mediocre construction, and semi-acceptable construction.
Pulling nails gives a person lots of time to formulate thoughts. I reflected on how many times I look at people and figure I know who they are just by looking at them. I am often wrong. Their "veneer" is thinner than I know, but that's what I go by. I judge a person's bad mood, or perceived arrogance. I observe a person pushing a cart with garbage bags filled with their belongings, and imagine I know the whole story.
Many times, there are hidden treasures behind the surface. Sometimes, it comes in the form of a funny comment, or a story not previously shared. Other times, it's a smile or acknowledgement of a kindness shown.
Other times, in people such as movie stars or sports figures, events expose their 'faulty wiring'. I put them on a pedestal and am shocked when they are unmasked. They 'let me down'. I am disappointed.
So what is the secret? Is there a way to know for sure what I'm looking at? I suppose, at first glance, there isn't a formula for this. But maybe, the answer is something between these two quotes: "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." [T.H. Thompson and John Watson ] and "Trust, but verify." [R. Reagan] There might be some nails to pull to find out what's really beneath all that paint and wallpaper.
I will have more opportunities to think this through on another day when I'm pulling nails. But right now, I'm going to shower off all the drywall dust so my husband will recognize me once again.
Comments
I love your random thoughts. Happy Nail Pulling.
Nancy
One layer at a time
Luv U 2:
U 5, THAT IS
D-O