Lost in Translation
The week school came back, two of the three boys came to my classroom for small-group instruction. They informed me that the other boy was in Quebec.
"Really?" I said, thinking that was a little off the beaten track. "Is he skiing?"
"Nope" they replied. "He's swimming with the dolphins."
"Dolphins?"
"Yep."
My geography is a litte rusty. I wondered if the St. Lawrence Seaway had dolphins in it. Especially at this time of the year. Then my mind turned to the lesson at hand.
This week, he returned from his trip. I passed him in the hallway and said "Welcome back!" He replied "Thanks, I was in Cuba."
I guess if you say QuÉbec as the QuÉbeçois do, then Cuba and QuÉbec can be easily confused.
"Really?" I said, thinking that was a little off the beaten track. "Is he skiing?"
"Nope" they replied. "He's swimming with the dolphins."
"Dolphins?"
"Yep."
My geography is a litte rusty. I wondered if the St. Lawrence Seaway had dolphins in it. Especially at this time of the year. Then my mind turned to the lesson at hand.
This week, he returned from his trip. I passed him in the hallway and said "Welcome back!" He replied "Thanks, I was in Cuba."
I guess if you say QuÉbec as the QuÉbeçois do, then Cuba and QuÉbec can be easily confused.
Comments