New Year's Resolutions



I am a New Year's Resolution junkie. Every year, without fail, I bow to the pressure and make my list. In recent years, I have cut back to one main resolution. This is to try and circumvent the biggest problem I have with resolutions: Saying "I resolve to..." makes me feel instantly defeated. Somehow, those words carry a burden. As soon as the words are out of my mouth, I am certain I won't be able to carry out my intention. It is altogether too easy to spiral down into the abyss of "What did I tell you? I'm a failure."
So then, what's the use of trying? I know that I am not alone in this. Many people give a blank stare when you ask them if they've made a resolution. It's as if they think that ignoring the question will make it (and you) go away. Making a resolution is all about intentional living. Saying it out loud to someone else, or putting it out there in cyber-space can be daunting. Suddenly, the word "accountability" is front and center. They may think it would be better to pretend they didn't hear the question.

Much as I hate the word, a resolution is a reminder to be goal-oriented. I like the idea of intentional living. I just don't want to make it a matter of feeling confined and culpable. I'd rather have it be a motivating force - energizing and invigorating. So that when I remember it, I will say "Oh yah! Here's an opportunity for me to accomplish this!".
A friend of mine suggested renaming it. I thought about this too. Not a bad idea. Take the 'resolute' out of resolution and what do you get? How about?...
  1. New Year's Declaration - No. That sounds like the beginnings of a nation or something.
    "Fourscore and three years ago, Marni resolved to become organized...." Ix -nay on is-thay.
  2. New Year's Grit - No. This one makes my teeth itch. Just the sound of it makes me run my tongue over my teeth to be sure I haven't eaten sand.
  3. New Year's Adamance - No. I would be stamping my foot every day that I didn't accomplish my goal. As in "If I don't get this EXERCISE done, I'm going to be in BIG trouble."
  4. New Year's Settlement - No. In this case, I'd be doing something that wasn't as good because I couldn't come up with a better idea. "Well, I was going to change the world, but instead, I'm going to lose ten pounds. Sigh..."
  5. New Year's Balance - No. This one sounds like a new fangled dairy product which probably has probionautics in it.
  6. New Year's Shilly-Shally - Perhaps.. well...No. For one thing, it sounds like I'm trying to be Irish and for another, it rhymes with Dilly Dally. It would be too tempting to quit before I begin. Either that or I'd have to learn how to dance a jig.
  7. New Year's Determination - Yes. I mean No. Maybe. All of the above?
  8. New Year's Resoluteness - No. Unless I am handed a sword and a full body armour.
  9. New Year's Undertaking - Well, perhaps this is getting closer. I do want to start something in January and look back in December and say "I undertook to ____ and voila! I did so." On the other hand, it might make me look like I am looking for a different kind of a job..."Helloooooh, I'm Marni the Mortician...This year, I will be undertaking all your funerary needs..."
  10. New Year's Goal - Again. Closer. But I'm no sports hero.
You see? It's not as easy as it sounds. Well, suddenly this morning, it came to me: How about having a NEW YEAR'S THEME for 2010? I think this might be the one for me. It will take care of the "shoulds" and the "have -to's"; it will direct me away from the beaten track of guilt ; it will give me an excuse for purposeful living. It almost sounds like I'm ready to party! Whoo Hoo!

My New Year's Theme? Changing the world. "One Random Act of Kindness at a Time. "

Comments

c said…
Thank you, Marn, for giving words to thoughts that usually just swirl in my brain.
I too love themes; it is the easiest starting point for almost any activity - whether it is a "one-off" or whether it is a "year-long".
In highlighting, then ditching each separate term, you've brought us along on your journey. And I'd like to be there to strew rose petals along with you.....one random petal at a time. One smile at a time. One phone call at a time. One remembered special date at a time. One cheer at a time. One kiss at a time. One unexpected kindness at a time.

Thanks for your blogs ...one idea at a time...one blog at a time....your own special kind of Random Act of Kindness towards us, your cyber readers...

And may 2010 be chock-a-block with RAK's for you and yours, too!!

xoxo

clwl

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom