Flight Plan

When I was little, I loved flying. I thought it was ever so exciting. Getting on a plane. Taking off. Sitting as far back in my seat as I could, in anticipation of the plane lifting off. Watching the wheels tuck up underneath the plane. I loved flying through the clouds. I used to imagine I was close to heaven.
Perhaps my excitement about flying had something to do with the stewards and stewardesses. They always seemed to have an extra space in their hearts for little kids who were cooped up for hours on a plane. I remember being enthralled with the crayons and the books of puzzles I got, as well as the kitsch from the airlines. I treasured the little plastic airplanes with the logos on them; I kept the napkins and the stir stix as long as I could.
As much fun as it was to fly, it was boring to wait for the flights. On one particular trip back to Canada, we landed in Germany. We were there a very LONNG time. My brother, my sister and I took to riding the escalators backwards - up the down, and down the up. We thought we were very clever and original. My Mom and Dad chided us lightly - what else is there to do in a large airport, but be a little disruptive?
As much fun as it was to fly, it was boring to wait for the flights. On one particular trip back to Canada, we landed in Germany. We were there a very LONNG time. My brother, my sister and I took to riding the escalators backwards - up the down, and down the up. We thought we were very clever and original. My Mom and Dad chided us lightly - what else is there to do in a large airport, but be a little disruptive?
I miss the old days of flying. Gone are the days of being invited to visit the captain in the cockpit. Of sleeping on the floor of the plane for the duration of the Cross- Atlantic flight. One must now refer to the staff on the plane as flight attendants. And one should avoid a panic attack on the last hour of the flight, because walking around is no longer allowed. As for food, one will need their own food and drink - bought at high-priced stores located just beyond the security check. What's next - will the flight attendants pace the aisles before the flight selling barf air sickness bags?
Waiting in the airport these days isn't about needing patience until the flight is ready to leave. It is now necessary to arrive several hours before your flight just to be part of the deadlock lines for security checks, the luggage checks and the sudden realization that 'oops, -I've- stood- in -the- wrong -line-up -for- 2 -hours'. Lining up with that many people, [also frustrated with the waiting], doesn't foster camaraderie. Everyone is just as frustrated , and tired as their fellow passengers. They are all hoping that once on board, nothing will go wrong on the runway - requiring undisclosed amounts of time sitting in a plane going nowhere.
Yep. I miss the old days. Flying ain't what it used to be. Try and tell kids that nowadays, and they JUST don't believe you.
Comments