Adventures in Books
I sometimes hang out at the local library for an hour or so while in between drop offs and pickups. Just recently, I've checked out a few books on CD. I have a hour a day for listening as I drive, and now that I'm not allowed to talk on the cell phone (not that I really ever did..), it keeps me company as I go back and forth to work.
So far this month, I have listened to 1 1/2 books. One was "Beautiful Lies" by Somebody or Rather, and the other on was a biography of Niel Armstrong called "First Man". "First Man" was a bit too much like a daily diary for me so I fast forwarded to the end and made sure that he returned from the moon in one piece, and then moved on. As of this week, I have a book on Jason Bourne on the go - I saw the movie, but thought it might be interesting to listen to it. The narrator does all the voices - Russian, Mid-Western U.S.A., Thailandi, Aussie. It is interesting to listen to, but I must admit to getting lost in some of the details. (For instance, a 'burner' is a cell phone with prepaid minutes, which no one can track if they are trying to hunt you down; although I might keep that piece of information handy for my espionage business [ which I have on the side].)
In between all this listening to books, I have read a couple of interesting ones in the last little while as well. A book by Debbie Travis (of "The Painted House") called "Not Guilty" in which she describes how she as a mother tried to balance the various parts of her life. She also talks to mothers about cutting themselves some slack. One part I laughed out loud at was her description of how mothers get out all sorts of books on 'how to be a better mother' and end up using the books to whack their kids to get them to obey. Been there.
Last week, just for fun, I picked up "Wuthering Heights" at the local Thrift Store. I read it for one of my English classes at school many moons ago, and thought it might be fun to revisit Heathcliff and Catherine. I always hope for a better resolution to the story. I've only begun the first three chapters so I am not sure how it will all end this time. I'll let you know.
Reading has been one of my favorite past times. I would spend hours reading as a kid. When my own kids were young, all I had time for was the occasional magazine story. Now I have more reading time and can delve into a book without having to leave it for several months before finding it under the bed next to the spare diaper. It's a luxury I am enjoying immensely.
The only downside is that I can no longer read without a little visionary aid. But that's a post for another day.
So far this month, I have listened to 1 1/2 books. One was "Beautiful Lies" by Somebody or Rather, and the other on was a biography of Niel Armstrong called "First Man". "First Man" was a bit too much like a daily diary for me so I fast forwarded to the end and made sure that he returned from the moon in one piece, and then moved on. As of this week, I have a book on Jason Bourne on the go - I saw the movie, but thought it might be interesting to listen to it. The narrator does all the voices - Russian, Mid-Western U.S.A., Thailandi, Aussie. It is interesting to listen to, but I must admit to getting lost in some of the details. (For instance, a 'burner' is a cell phone with prepaid minutes, which no one can track if they are trying to hunt you down; although I might keep that piece of information handy for my espionage business [ which I have on the side].)
In between all this listening to books, I have read a couple of interesting ones in the last little while as well. A book by Debbie Travis (of "The Painted House") called "Not Guilty" in which she describes how she as a mother tried to balance the various parts of her life. She also talks to mothers about cutting themselves some slack. One part I laughed out loud at was her description of how mothers get out all sorts of books on 'how to be a better mother' and end up using the books to whack their kids to get them to obey. Been there.
Last week, just for fun, I picked up "Wuthering Heights" at the local Thrift Store. I read it for one of my English classes at school many moons ago, and thought it might be fun to revisit Heathcliff and Catherine. I always hope for a better resolution to the story. I've only begun the first three chapters so I am not sure how it will all end this time. I'll let you know.
Reading has been one of my favorite past times. I would spend hours reading as a kid. When my own kids were young, all I had time for was the occasional magazine story. Now I have more reading time and can delve into a book without having to leave it for several months before finding it under the bed next to the spare diaper. It's a luxury I am enjoying immensely.
The only downside is that I can no longer read without a little visionary aid. But that's a post for another day.
Comments
but it did give me a feeling of accomplishment, and I could trust the many recommendations I'd heard along the way, about the books I chose.
thanks for the chuckle. I shared it with my neighbour. She says she used to chase her boys with a big wooden spoon, and once she'd get to them, they'd laugh that "it didn't hurt, mom!!!!!"
ach yes...
clwl