Travelling Light
In Max Lucado's book "Travelling Light", he writes about Psalm 23. He writes as if the reader is going on a journey, and the different types of 'luggage' they might want to take with them (or leave behind).
In the chapter "Whaddifs and Howells", he refers to worry as the 'burlap bag of burdens. It is "cumbersome, chunky, unattractive, scratchy and hard to get a handle on". It is "irritating to carry, and impossible to give away". (p.47)

As I read this chapter, it resonated with me. I like to worry. I'm an expert in it. Most of the time I don't evaluate what I'm worrying about. I'm just busy stuffing it into the burlap bag, making the burden heavier. I have worried about not having enough money to make it through the holidays, every year since we were married. I have worried about where we will live, and how we will afford to survive once we are there. I have worried about things breaking down in the house, and not having the resources to fix them. When I was the mother of toddlers, I worried about being the mother of 'terrible teens'. Now they are terrific teens, and I worry about them not being able to get jobs, or an education. I worry about them not finding the right relationships.
Like I said. Just s.t.u.f..f.i.n.g. it in.
As I thought about this more, a visual image came to my mind of Jesus meeting me at the baggage check.
"What's in that burlap bag?" He says to me.
"Worry." I say distractedly.
"What kind of worries?" He asks.
"Oh, this and that and the other. " I reply, not meeting His eyes.
After a pause, He asks. "Why haven't you checked it through?"
"It's overweight. They won't let it through." I am dejected.
Then Jesus asks if He can help me reorganize the bag to lighten the load. He takes it from me and dumps it out. All sorts of things tumble out. Big and little. All shapes and sizes. There's so much in there, I don't even know where to start.
"What's this?" He asks as He pulls out a large wad.
"Oh, that's...that's, uh, that's the thoughts I had about not being employable. "
"Do you need it anymore?"
"No, I guess not. I have always been able to find work."
"Tell you what. Why don't we throw this out?"
"O.k.".
Jesus drops it in the bin. Then He turns back to the pile.
"And what is this?"
"Um, well, at one time, I thought we'd never get rid of that vehicle. I just kept that worry around, because we have other vehicles which are breaking down."
"Hmmm. Well, maybe we could let it go. Would that be o.k. with you?"
"Sure. "
Jesus goes through each one with me. Little by little, the burden gets lighter. My spirit does too. I'm not so laden down with preoccupation and the fatigue which comes with dwelling on thoughts about the uncontrollable. Just a little while later, the burlap sack is small enough to fold up and put away.
I am ready to pass through the baggage check without the heavy burden of worry. And to my delight, Jesus comes with me. "I've got a ticket for this trip too". He says with a smile.
In the chapter "Whaddifs and Howells", he refers to worry as the 'burlap bag of burdens. It is "cumbersome, chunky, unattractive, scratchy and hard to get a handle on". It is "irritating to carry, and impossible to give away". (p.47)

As I read this chapter, it resonated with me. I like to worry. I'm an expert in it. Most of the time I don't evaluate what I'm worrying about. I'm just busy stuffing it into the burlap bag, making the burden heavier. I have worried about not having enough money to make it through the holidays, every year since we were married. I have worried about where we will live, and how we will afford to survive once we are there. I have worried about things breaking down in the house, and not having the resources to fix them. When I was the mother of toddlers, I worried about being the mother of 'terrible teens'. Now they are terrific teens, and I worry about them not being able to get jobs, or an education. I worry about them not finding the right relationships.
Like I said. Just s.t.u.f..f.i.n.g. it in.
As I thought about this more, a visual image came to my mind of Jesus meeting me at the baggage check.
"What's in that burlap bag?" He says to me.
"Worry." I say distractedly.
"What kind of worries?" He asks.
"Oh, this and that and the other. " I reply, not meeting His eyes.
After a pause, He asks. "Why haven't you checked it through?"
"It's overweight. They won't let it through." I am dejected.
Then Jesus asks if He can help me reorganize the bag to lighten the load. He takes it from me and dumps it out. All sorts of things tumble out. Big and little. All shapes and sizes. There's so much in there, I don't even know where to start.
"What's this?" He asks as He pulls out a large wad.
"Oh, that's...that's, uh, that's the thoughts I had about not being employable. "
"Do you need it anymore?"
"No, I guess not. I have always been able to find work."
"Tell you what. Why don't we throw this out?"
"O.k.".
Jesus drops it in the bin. Then He turns back to the pile.
"And what is this?"
"Um, well, at one time, I thought we'd never get rid of that vehicle. I just kept that worry around, because we have other vehicles which are breaking down."
"Hmmm. Well, maybe we could let it go. Would that be o.k. with you?"
"Sure. "
Jesus goes through each one with me. Little by little, the burden gets lighter. My spirit does too. I'm not so laden down with preoccupation and the fatigue which comes with dwelling on thoughts about the uncontrollable. Just a little while later, the burlap sack is small enough to fold up and put away.
I am ready to pass through the baggage check without the heavy burden of worry. And to my delight, Jesus comes with me. "I've got a ticket for this trip too". He says with a smile.
Comments
Burlap is biodegradeable!
All the more reason to ditch it.
thanks for the worry thoughts. Never trouble Trouble, til Trouble troubles you...
Ah yes!
xox