Holiday Surprises
One of the treats of this time of year is the generosity that spills out into the streets in so many ways. I see this every day in the places where I work as canned goods are collected for the food bank; in the malls, as people drop in their spare change to help others; in the volunteer hours planned to share hot chocolate and sandwiches on the inner city streets. It is inspiring to me.
In the spirit of the generosity I see, I am going to share with you three Christmas surprises which have put a glow in my heart.
The first one was the delight I got from being able to go through a co-worker's box of unwanted Tupperware and Pampered Chef products. She didn't need them anymore and shared them with anyone who wanted them. I picked up several things which had been on my 'would- love -that- in- my -arsenal' list ; I got a measuring cup and teaspoon set and a couple of extra storage containers. I felt like I'd been to a Splurge Club. :)
Another surprise (or two) were two ornaments I received from other co-workers. What fun to come into my office and see these little packages on my desk. I am truly blessed to work in teams, where thoughtfulness towards each other is part of the unwritten job description. One I hung on my front door - so the neighbours could enjoy it too, and the other I hung on my office door to accent the door decorated by the clients and myself.
The third was a gift from the teacher of the Grade Five and Six class. One day I was there helping out and she was introducing a book called "A Season for Miracles" from the 'Dear Canada' series. I was intrigued by it because as she introduced it, she said that there were stories in it from real Canadian diaries, kept in the 'old days'. Some of the entries were made in the 1700's and some up to the more modern days of the 1920's. I had never seen the series before and asked her about it. The next day I was there, I ran into her in the hall and she told me she had found a copy at a second-hand store, and had picked it up for me. Wow! I felt spoiled. By peeking into seasonal stories of times gone by, I have added to my own 'keeping it simple' Christmas celebration.
The delight of these holiday surprises - none of them breaking the bank, but delighting the receiver, has made me more determined to find ways to reaching out to others in simple ways. Opening doors for others, saying hello to others in the elevator, sharing what I have with others who might enjoy it too...it doesn't take a whole lot to pour sunshine into others lives.
In the spirit of the generosity I see, I am going to share with you three Christmas surprises which have put a glow in my heart.
The first one was the delight I got from being able to go through a co-worker's box of unwanted Tupperware and Pampered Chef products. She didn't need them anymore and shared them with anyone who wanted them. I picked up several things which had been on my 'would- love -that- in- my -arsenal' list ; I got a measuring cup and teaspoon set and a couple of extra storage containers. I felt like I'd been to a Splurge Club. :)
Another surprise (or two) were two ornaments I received from other co-workers. What fun to come into my office and see these little packages on my desk. I am truly blessed to work in teams, where thoughtfulness towards each other is part of the unwritten job description. One I hung on my front door - so the neighbours could enjoy it too, and the other I hung on my office door to accent the door decorated by the clients and myself.
The third was a gift from the teacher of the Grade Five and Six class. One day I was there helping out and she was introducing a book called "A Season for Miracles" from the 'Dear Canada' series. I was intrigued by it because as she introduced it, she said that there were stories in it from real Canadian diaries, kept in the 'old days'. Some of the entries were made in the 1700's and some up to the more modern days of the 1920's. I had never seen the series before and asked her about it. The next day I was there, I ran into her in the hall and she told me she had found a copy at a second-hand store, and had picked it up for me. Wow! I felt spoiled. By peeking into seasonal stories of times gone by, I have added to my own 'keeping it simple' Christmas celebration.
The delight of these holiday surprises - none of them breaking the bank, but delighting the receiver, has made me more determined to find ways to reaching out to others in simple ways. Opening doors for others, saying hello to others in the elevator, sharing what I have with others who might enjoy it too...it doesn't take a whole lot to pour sunshine into others lives.
Merry Christmas to all my Cyber Readers.

Comments
Recently, a butterfly spoke to a prisoner, and pointed him [back] to GOD
Simply Me