A Christmas Story
This is a story of the first, last Christmas present.

Here it is all carefully wrapped. It is addressed to our family in beautiful cursive script, from a dear friend of our family, who kind of adopted us at a time when we didn't have grampas and grammas around to cheer us young parents on. I will never forget her kindness to me as a young mom. She took my kids under her wing, and considered them to be substitute grandkids. Sometimes, my husband and I got away for an evening and she would babysit for us. They loved going to her house because she always had interesting toys, and she would sit and play games with them, or read to them, or make things with them. We often invited her to family birthday parties, and she made it a priority to show up in their lives for other important milestones too.
As time went on, she met a wonderful man and married him and moved far away from us. But we still hold her near in our hearts.
Her sister lives in the same town as we do, and this gift was held in trust for us there, until I could pick it up. I am embarrassed to say that it took me a year to do so. I did try to, and then it didn't work, and then I didn't have her phone number handy when I went by her place, and then I couldn't remember her last name, and I had erased her phone message with her number on it.......blah blah blah.
Anyways, Gramma W's sister was very gracious about it, and in spite of having moved in the last year, she kept it for me - all wrapped up, waiting for me to unwrap it.
Having made arrangements to pick it up, and then enjoying a quick visit while my son practiced soccer, I took the present home to see what it was.
Here it is being unwrapped.
Looks like....

Oh! How did she know I like snowmen? Because she knows me I guess!

And so, the mystery present was unwrapped and then brought with us on our own move. It is sitting happily on top of the buffet and hutch, welcoming this season for all who enter the condo. I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer to go get it. It is the best first, last Christmas present EVER!

Here it is all carefully wrapped. It is addressed to our family in beautiful cursive script, from a dear friend of our family, who kind of adopted us at a time when we didn't have grampas and grammas around to cheer us young parents on. I will never forget her kindness to me as a young mom. She took my kids under her wing, and considered them to be substitute grandkids. Sometimes, my husband and I got away for an evening and she would babysit for us. They loved going to her house because she always had interesting toys, and she would sit and play games with them, or read to them, or make things with them. We often invited her to family birthday parties, and she made it a priority to show up in their lives for other important milestones too.
As time went on, she met a wonderful man and married him and moved far away from us. But we still hold her near in our hearts.
Her sister lives in the same town as we do, and this gift was held in trust for us there, until I could pick it up. I am embarrassed to say that it took me a year to do so. I did try to, and then it didn't work, and then I didn't have her phone number handy when I went by her place, and then I couldn't remember her last name, and I had erased her phone message with her number on it.......blah blah blah.
Anyways, Gramma W's sister was very gracious about it, and in spite of having moved in the last year, she kept it for me - all wrapped up, waiting for me to unwrap it.
Having made arrangements to pick it up, and then enjoying a quick visit while my son practiced soccer, I took the present home to see what it was.
Here it is being unwrapped.Looks like....

Oh! How did she know I like snowmen? Because she knows me I guess!

And so, the mystery present was unwrapped and then brought with us on our own move. It is sitting happily on top of the buffet and hutch, welcoming this season for all who enter the condo. I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer to go get it. It is the best first, last Christmas present EVER!
Comments
thanks
clwl