Learning Curve


Occasionally, one of the kids asks me to help them with studying. I get to take a step back into time, and challenge myself to re-learn some of the same things I was instructed in when I was in school.

We watch French videos with vignettes of every day life, and answer the questions. "Pourquoi est-ce Marie confusée?" Answer: "I don't know why Marie is confused, but I know I'm confused because I didn't understand what she was talking about...".

Or we read through the Science text (now there's some can't-put-it-down stuff) and learn the periodic table.

Occasionally, we go way back in history and look at the nasty Kings of England. I am always a little relieved to know I don't have to actually pump these facts out on the test. That's their job.

Usually the next day, I think about what learning has gone on, and try to challenge myself to remember which part of the bean seed creates the root .... umm....it's the....

the radicle...yeah, that's it....or I speak a sentence or two in French, just to prove that I can still fracture it.

I occasionally groan when asked to participate in these study sessions, (mainly because they occur late in the evening, when my mind and body beg to wind down rather than wind up to absorb information). On another level, I am pleased to have another chance to be re-immersed in information I once had to know.

According to a study appearing in the Jan. 24 issue of the Journal of Neuroscience, learning slows the physical progression of Alzheimers. [You can read more about this here: ScienceDaily 24 January 2007. 14 November 2009 /releases/2007/01/070123182024.htm>] The article's author states:

"This study shows learning can delay the progression of Alzheimer's neuropathology in mice genetically engineered to develop this insidious disorder, and learning also delays the cognitive decline," said Frank LaFerla, professor of neurobiology and behavior and co-author of the study. "These remarkable findings suggest stimulating the mind with activities such as reading books or completing crossword puzzles may help delay and/or prevent Alzheimer's disease in senior citizens."

Maybe there's hope for this old brain yet. Kids?! Let's get going on that assignment you have due on the time line of the French Revolution.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Statue playing the keyboard?

Brilliant!

D-0
Anonymous said…
I don't recall those words to that song! Could hum along to the tune tho... :) JC

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom