Do you remember this?

I forgive you if you don't. It is the arrangement which my husband gave me for Valentine's Day this year. Sadly, over the year, because of my black thumb, it has turned into this:


Not all at once, but slowly, the plants gave up hoping that I would take care of them. All of them but the daisies. I went into the living room the other day and discovered that in spite of me the long, lanky stems had produced these:



I was so pleased that I immediately salvaged them into this arrangement, so I could enjoy them on my table for a little while. Better that, than leave them to break because they were so top-heavy.

I thanked the plant for what it had given me, and whispered the words of Winston Churchill as I trimmed it back and watered it:

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." (W. Churchill 1941)

I know the words were taken out of context, but I hoped the plant wouldn't notice too much.

After a whole week, the daisies are still looking as fresh as they did last week. I am renewed in my resolve to get the basket looking lovely again. I promised the remaining few leaves I will add a couple of things to the basket to keep it company.

After all, it had the temerity to believe that I would take care of it, so I should repay it in kind.

Comments

c said…
if the daisies have any roots on them, take them over to your new place, and plant them now. They will reward you handsomely, and become a kind of "memorial" of sorts....

Good work. Good cogitating. Enjoyed the encouragement. I had read somewhere that there were 5 nevers in his remark....the listener to his original speech would have thought he was NEVER going to stop saying "never"....

xox
c

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom