Seven Days of Thanks
Day Six:
Earlier in the week, someone asked me if I was doing a big meal for Thanksgiving. I shook my head. This year, the timing is all wrong.
We are in between renovating, moving,
and trying to get farm status,
along with all the regular things that are going on - like school and soccer practice and getting used to a new job. I learned a long time ago, that sometimes you have to let something go to maintain your sanity. I decided this is not the year to make a big turkey dinner.
Then, each of my family asked me what we were doing for Thanksgiving. I suddenly realized how much my family looks forward to the tradition of the Thanksgiving meal. Hmmm. Time to rethink. There may be a time when they won't be able to join us, but this year, they are around and want to enjoy a decadent meal together in celebration of all that God has given to us.
So I caved. I bought a fresh turkey last night and will throw it into the oven today. I will make loads of gravy and a pile of stuffing. Cranberry jelly for them and cranberry sauce for me. I made a jello and bought new potatoes. And we'll have their favorite - veggies - only in a cheese sauce so they will actually eat the veggies. Lettuce salad with cucumbers and tomatoes. I'm going all out. I will even serve them two kinds of pie with whipped cream. [It's amazing what a great meal I can turn out with the help of a large food company.]
As I make it, I will offer up thanks that I have a family who wants to celebrate together, the wherewithal to make it happen, and the burst of energy I need to continue a tradition that means so much to them.
Earlier in the week, someone asked me if I was doing a big meal for Thanksgiving. I shook my head. This year, the timing is all wrong.
We are in between renovating, moving,
and trying to get farm status,
along with all the regular things that are going on - like school and soccer practice and getting used to a new job. I learned a long time ago, that sometimes you have to let something go to maintain your sanity. I decided this is not the year to make a big turkey dinner.
Then, each of my family asked me what we were doing for Thanksgiving. I suddenly realized how much my family looks forward to the tradition of the Thanksgiving meal. Hmmm. Time to rethink. There may be a time when they won't be able to join us, but this year, they are around and want to enjoy a decadent meal together in celebration of all that God has given to us.
So I caved. I bought a fresh turkey last night and will throw it into the oven today. I will make loads of gravy and a pile of stuffing. Cranberry jelly for them and cranberry sauce for me. I made a jello and bought new potatoes. And we'll have their favorite - veggies - only in a cheese sauce so they will actually eat the veggies. Lettuce salad with cucumbers and tomatoes. I'm going all out. I will even serve them two kinds of pie with whipped cream. [It's amazing what a great meal I can turn out with the help of a large food company.]
As I make it, I will offer up thanks that I have a family who wants to celebrate together, the wherewithal to make it happen, and the burst of energy I need to continue a tradition that means so much to them.
Comments