One Part Inspiration

The Grad Five and Sixes were given an assignment today. "Write about how to do something". The teacher asked for at least six sentences, but' not a novel'. I could see in some of the student's eyes, this was a tough assignment. Forget the novel.... Seriously? Six whole sentences? How could they possibly think of enough information to keep the teacher happy?
I can identify with that feeling. Many times that same feeling greets me when I sign into this blog, and click on "NEW POST". All I see is white space to be filled. I don't know where to start. I get up and wander out of the room. Then I wander back into the room. Every time I come back in, the white space dares me to think of something to say. I go out to the kitchen and look through the cupboards in case inspiration is hiding there. I pass by the table and look through the paper to avoid starting. I come back to the computer and think. Think. Think. Th. i. NK.
I ask myself. Why am I doing this? What in the world do I have to write about? My life is so ordinary. Go to bed. Get up. Get ready for work. Leave for work. Arrive. Do my job(s). Leave. Pick up kids. Pick up pizza. Come home. Eat. Take kids to planned activities. Come home. Fall into bed. Start again in eight or so hours. Who wants to read about that? I have nothing to say. N o t h i n g to write about. I am not inspired. Not even one part inspired.
My job today, was to help the kids find a topic. It was amazing sitting one-to-one with several of them, brainstorming ideas. Turns out they were experts in things like playing hockey, and dirt biking. I gave them a little direction about how to structure the piece. I wrote down some ideas with them and then handed it over. The ideas began flowing, they began writing, and before they knew it, they'd run out of class time. I hope when they come back to it, they have a little inspiration. Just one part's all they need - enough to get them through the other side of the assignment.
When I am up against the white space, I often find the same thing happens to me. I start somewhere. I make no promises to myself, or anyone else, about how a piece will end up. I just start. No one is going to mark my work. So that pressure is off. I soon find myself having fun, making words do what I want. One part inspiration arrives. And 'just like that"I have a post. I can hit the "Publish Post" button.
Comments
And how rewarding to be able to help someone(s) else find their inspiration, enthusiasm and trigger for passions that lie within. It is an opportunity and rewarding to be able to influence others towards growth...and I can just imagine how amazing your are at this work - paid and unpaid! Your employer is most fortunate to have you working with and for them.....and so are those kids!
I had no words to say...
thus started a book of poetry hand-typed, given to me by David, in the early 80's
He wrote that because of a deep sense of grief...But the lines stuck with me
thanks for sticking with the blank page until it fleshes into a thing of great beauty for us readers.
xoxox
clwl
Joy