Midaswell

I admit it. I'm a reward card junkie. If I go to a store, and the salesperson even breathes something sounding like "...Interested in our savings card?", I have to hold myself back from jumping over the counter. "Sure". I say, while inwardly calculating my cost savings. "Let's see, 10% on regular purchases, for a whole year...and I shop here at least 3 times a year, that should add up to ... 2.....3.....maybe even 5 dollars...I'm in". It's got so I have to have a special slot or ten in my wallet for my cards.
I sign up for cards which cost nothing: I just have to purchase 3000$ worth and I will get 5$ off the next purchase AFTER that. I sign up cards which cost something, but not much: $10 for the card and I'll save the sales tax on this purchase alone. And occasionally, I sign up for the cards which cost more money. [I have yet to admit that to my husband. The card does comes in handy when I want to book a flight and I didn't think of it until two weeks ahead of time, since it saves you 25% on the purchase of a ticket.]
I'm also a sucker for all store points programs. I have the key chain attachment to swipe, so I can 'save money' on groceries and occasionally get a jug of milk 'free', because I have enough points. I keep the collectors card in the glove box for the stickers I collect, to get one free pot after buying 500$ worth of groceries. I regularly go online to calculate the points I have collected on purchases. "Just think" I whisper to myself "Soon the car organizer will be mine. I just need 2343 more points. I never would have bought it, but I totally love it, and I had to spend the money anyway, so I midaswell get something for it." The organizer arrives just after I've finished spending my child's post-secondary education money on purchases which I would have made anyway. I'm happier than a kid in a candy shop. I love my 500$ pot. I so enjoy using my 300$ hand blender. And these shoes? I got them free because I finally got enough points at the shoe store when I bought the kids their back-to-school outfits. LOVE THEM! Besides, the reward card companies are often the only ones to send me emails. I might not have anything to look at when I get home from a hard day's work, if they didn't let me know how close I am to a 'free' deal.
I am not sure why I am such a sucker for these things. I'm sure big corporations have paid big bucks for expensive psychological tests on people such as myself, to find out how to draw us in. After a while, the psychologist presents to the chairman of the board. "Well Bob, after 300 test subjects, my findings show that 70% of the population will be interested in a card that will give them one free video after purchasing 30 others. Especially types like Marni. It will be very lucrative for our company. Let's do it." Then they high-five each other, and go out for a nice dinner which they pay for, with the gift card they got for being the soccer coach.
I cannot begin to add up the money I've spent, saving up for rewards. But I also cannot put a price on the fun it's been to get a little something for all the money that I've spent. My husband just shakes his head at me when I get my little stash of cards out, and start looking for the punch card when we go out for coffee. But he doesn't have much to say when his coffee is free because I've collected ten punches. That's what I'm talking about. 'Midaswell', cuz every once in a while, there's a pay off. And then, it's all worth while. FREE! for a Buck (or more).
Comments