In Honor

Nineteen years ago today, I was the mom of a two-month old baby girl. My parents were out visiting us. They were helping me adjust to motherhood, and to being the wife of a full time student. We were living in our first house.

My friend Janna and I had planned a birthday party for Mrs. Isaacs, who would turn seventy on October 1, 1990. We decided to make it a surprise breakfast party - to accommodate the baby's schedule. I hosted, but Janna brought many of the goodies we enjoyed that morning. As I remember it, we served croissants along with a fruit and cheese platter. There were flowers and a pretty tablecloth and napkins. I dont' remember how many people came, but I remember it was a houseful. And I remember how happy I was when everything turned out so well. The baby slept through much of the party, and when she woke up, she was happy and everyone cooed over her. The food was delicious. Best of all, we got to honor a very special lady, who had taken us both under her wing, and treated us like we were her daughters, even though we weren't related to her.

The years have flown by since that party. Many events have ensued. My baby girl is now nineteen years old. A constant has been the friendship I enjoyed with Mrs. Isaacs, a very special lady who offered me a listening ear, and her years of wisdom, throughout my years as a mom - when the kids were little, when they were in the elementary school, and then as a mom of teenagers.

She took my kids under her wing too, and loved them like they were her own grandkids. She cross-stitched a birth announcement for each of them. She posted their pictures on her fridge and exclaimed over them when I gave her the updates each year. My kids came to know her as "Gramma 'D" - a nickname I coined, because my daughter couldn't say 'Doreen' when she was very little. "Gramma 'D" and "Grampa Bud" joined us for occasions of all kinds - birthdays, Christmases, baptisms, dedications, picnics in the park. They had an open door policy for us too. We would drop in at odd hours - with strollers, and baby seats, and then with toddlers, and as the years passed, school aged kids and finally with teenagers who measured their growth by standing beside "Gramma 'D".

I came to count on her prayers for us as a family, as she often assured me that they prayed for us regularly. On occasions when I would visit without the kids, she and Grampa hooted and hollered at the stories I told of their antics. And they would offer words of advice for the various dilemmas I faced. Such a sweet friendship.

Today, she is enjoying her first birthday in heaven. I know the food will be great. She will be celebrating in style. Janna and my mom are there too. I bet there'll be all kinds of laughter as they enjoy each other's company, and the company of a God who has all His kids' pictures on His fridge.

Happy Birthday "Gramma 'D"!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom