Packin' It Away



These days before moving, I am faced with many decisions about what to keep, and what to throw away. I am tempted to leave it all in piles and thumb through them another time.

The other day, we went through the dining room . For three hours we went about packing away all the good china, the bowls and the platters - some of them wedding presents - along with any knick knacks that would fit into the boxes. I found myself wondering how long it would be before I would see them again. I rescued a few for the boxes to be immediately unpacked, once we arrive. They will take part in making our next house more homey. The rest I bid a -Fond farewell -- auf Wie·der·seh·en - Until we meet again - So long, it's been good to know ya.

Later on in the week, I made the big decision to take a load to the local charity. These were mainly garage sale remnants, -the ones we unsuccessfully tried to sell on that fateful day. Many had been treasured and enjoyed thoroughly. I knew that it was time to let them go, but I saved a few sighs for packing them into the van for the trip to the Sally Ann.

There's still so much to do; so many corners to expose to the decision-making machine. I am that machine. As I go about this task, the words issued from my mouth are kept to a minimum: "Keep" "Throw Out" "Give away". Occasionally, I allow a few ...."Well would you look at that. I haven't seen this in a long time. Wonder if it still works. Yep. Ahhh...o.k, well...put it on the counter until I can have a better look at it".

Fortunately, the kids are old enough now to pack up their own stuff. #1 son got a start on his, early in the week. At the moment, he is stuck somewhere in the middle of : 'Love that, still want it out' , and 'Haven't looked at this in a few years, so I'll just throw it in this here pile, and hope no one will kill themselves on it as they pass my door."

Yes, it is coming down to the wire. A few more weeks and the renters will be moving from the house we have bought. And a few weeks after that, we should have the place renewed a little bit - enough to say, "I love the color I chose for the living room". This part of the journey has felt like waiting at a customs line. You are not allowed in until you have clearance. But once you have clearance, the trip begins in earnest.

Passports, please.

Comments

C said…
Like cold waters to a thirsty soul are your observations..so homey, so poignant-to-the-point-pin-pointing!!, so like our very own journey.

There is something that inspires us to conquer, to have!

But there is another kind of energy needed to "unconquer".

I started smoking 50 yr. ago to prove I was a man.
Now I've quit smoking, to prove the same thing.

First we accumulate, we feather the nest, we enjoy a thing of beauty.

Later, we are faced with realities of smaller spaces, of new "stages" in life, and of changing emotions towards the feathers of our nest. And we wonder why some of it was SO very important.

It makes for some frustration with the work we've given ourselves!!

Funny, too, how we want to get some value back out of it, by yard sales, and ads and auctions. Why do we find it difficult to say, I've enjoyed that ____ for a good while now, and that is PLENTY of value for me. Thank you very much. Here, you (friend, someone in need, )take this now and enjoy it for another portion of its life...

Life is a series of PEAKS and VALLEYS.

You start out small in life, you crescendo to the middle, you pianissimo at stages, you crescendo again, and at the last, you descrescendo and descend... into the valley.

Sounds like MUSIC in the MOUNTAINS & VALLEYS.... the metaphors are muxing ip, as Auntie Doreen would say....

xoC
c said…
parting post: just found:

People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revised, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone~~~Audrey Hepburn.

thought it was a propos....except that I know you treat people with such care!!

xox
C
Becky said…
You're moving?!! Weren't you just renovating?? I couldn't imagine packing/throwing/storing (or maybe the solution is to never store) our box that we have lived in for almost 20 years. I think we'll just die here - that would be easier.
Well, may God give you the strength you need to face the mountains!

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom