Revolving Doors

One day, when I was young, my family was on vacation. We were swimming in the lake- pool at the vacation spot. Although I don't remember it, the story goes that my Dad was watching me and my siblings swim. He turned his head for a second, and when he turned back, I had disappeared. He dived into the pool and found me under the water. When he pulled me up, and I took a ragged breath, I looked at him and I said breathlessly: "AGAIN". This story is called to mind as I look back to just a week ago when I returned home from a trip to see my Dad. It was a whirlwind week; so much so, that it almost took my breath away. And I'd love to do it "AGAIN".
I teased Dad that he must have a revolving door to his place, because there was so much activity and people in and out of his place the whole time. With six kids in the family, and all of us in different spots, the reality is, reunions don't happen that often. But, over the week, I got to see or talk to every one of my siblings, so the 'wish- we -weren't- so- far- away' sentiments got put away for just a little while.
Every day was filled with unplanned activity:
  • My sister, (next youngest) stayed with Dad too - we used to share a room when we were younger, and we re-visited that idea.
  • My oldest sister and her husband were around for the week so we enjoyed dinners, lunches and shopping with them.
  • My middle brother and his wife and two daughters joined us for the weekend. We played games and took pictures, and watched the girls swim, and caught up on all the news.
  • Two of my nieces drove down to see us, later on in the week. They came complete with guitar, kazoo and harmonica, for an impromptu kitchen band performance.
  • We were treated to a five-gal pedicure and manicure courtesy of my oldest sister.
  • My oldest brother and my second-oldest brother both called and chatted with each of us.
  • To top it all off, we visited with a few friends from our high school era. [We tried not to notice that we are now middle-aged women with families who are rapidly growing up into their own life-pathways. ]
The week went really fast. The revolving door of people and activities are now a sweet memory. Thanks Dad for opening your door to let it all happen. Let's do it "AGAIN"!

Comments

On This Rock said…
Really..it is so much fun when the family gets back together and shares the positive, or now positively viewed, memories of their childhood....love the nail colours....all of this was probably lovely for your Dad to watch as well...

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom