I am Canadian
It's July 1. For us Canadians, that sounds weird. We don't identify the date generally. We identify the day as Canada Day. Our national birthday. Even before it was Canada Day, we called it Dominion Day, not July 1. We are an every changing country - even to the point of adding another territory in 1999.
Last week at the school's final assembly, "O Canada" was sung - as it is before every major event. My heart swelled with pride. I realized again how fortunate I am to be living in a country like Canada with its vast land mass and mosaic of people. I proudly lifted my head and my heart as I sang our national anthem. I prayed as I sang "God keep our land, glorious and free".
Today I am going to the Canada Day parade, where I will loudly cheer the many people in the community who comprise the services and protection which I enjoy. I will wave to the police and the firemen. I will hoot and holler when the bands march by. I will enjoy the children scrambling for the candy thrown from the floats. I will publicly acknowledge the service of the municipal, provincial and federal politicians. I will delight in the antics of the clowns and the Shriners on their motorcycles. And I will thank God again for the privilege of living here.
I live in a great country. I am proud to be a Canadian.
Last week at the school's final assembly, "O Canada" was sung - as it is before every major event. My heart swelled with pride. I realized again how fortunate I am to be living in a country like Canada with its vast land mass and mosaic of people. I proudly lifted my head and my heart as I sang our national anthem. I prayed as I sang "God keep our land, glorious and free".
Today I am going to the Canada Day parade, where I will loudly cheer the many people in the community who comprise the services and protection which I enjoy. I will wave to the police and the firemen. I will hoot and holler when the bands march by. I will enjoy the children scrambling for the candy thrown from the floats. I will publicly acknowledge the service of the municipal, provincial and federal politicians. I will delight in the antics of the clowns and the Shriners on their motorcycles. And I will thank God again for the privilege of living here.
I live in a great country. I am proud to be a Canadian.
Comments
thanks for leading the parade.
I heard your hollering.
I saw that wave from the band leader.
love your enthusiasm
O - K CANADA
(what the Oromo children used to chant to us as we would come to do health teaching out under the thorn trees)