The boys are back in town
After a very quiet week with my husband and I getting practice at being empty -nesters, the boys came home. They came running up to the van yelling and screaming "YOU'RE HERE! YOU'E HERE!" , and immediately, everything old was new again.
It's not that we weren't busy while they were gone, but the atmosphere was subdued. We didn't have to work to get a word in edgewise. The washing machine didn't run continuously. The phone didn't ring with friends asking after one of them. There was no scrambling around the house to find a lost wallet/Ipod/guitar pick. When we made a mess, we cleaned it up and it stayed clean. The counters weren't littered with supplies for a now-finished job. Music didn't invade the corners of the office. The t.v. downstairs was turned off as soon as a show was watched. Food consumption rates were drastically reduced.
I missed them. I missed the side-by-side conversations about daily happenings, and life issues. I missed the loud, noisy dinner times trying to make sure my boys end up with a modicum of manners, and them completely ignoring me. I missed the opportunities to spontaneously stop for a Slurpee on our way home from doing errands. I missed having their friends drop by. I missed
family video nights.
My husband and I smiled at each other on the way home with the boys in the back of the van. The decibel level was almost deafening. The shared experience of being on staff at camp had bonded them. They were so busy talking about it all that they didn't notice us driving into the driveway. Both of them said how happy they were to be home - sleeping in a 'real' bed and eating 'real' food. I think they missed us too.
It's not that we weren't busy while they were gone, but the atmosphere was subdued. We didn't have to work to get a word in edgewise. The washing machine didn't run continuously. The phone didn't ring with friends asking after one of them. There was no scrambling around the house to find a lost wallet/Ipod/guitar pick. When we made a mess, we cleaned it up and it stayed clean. The counters weren't littered with supplies for a now-finished job. Music didn't invade the corners of the office. The t.v. downstairs was turned off as soon as a show was watched. Food consumption rates were drastically reduced.
I missed them. I missed the side-by-side conversations about daily happenings, and life issues. I missed the loud, noisy dinner times trying to make sure my boys end up with a modicum of manners, and them completely ignoring me. I missed the opportunities to spontaneously stop for a Slurpee on our way home from doing errands. I missed having their friends drop by. I missed
family video nights.
My husband and I smiled at each other on the way home with the boys in the back of the van. The decibel level was almost deafening. The shared experience of being on staff at camp had bonded them. They were so busy talking about it all that they didn't notice us driving into the driveway. Both of them said how happy they were to be home - sleeping in a 'real' bed and eating 'real' food. I think they missed us too.
Comments