My Grand Pursuit Saver

Today I went "into town" [as they say] for an education day. At lunch time I went on a little adventure. I was by myself and there was quite a break between sessions so I went exploring. I never knew that street went down this way! I'd heard a lot about this beach, but had never seen it.

I sat eating my lunch while I looked out at the beautiful scenery. Then I wandered a bit farther down and watched 'the boys' play volleyball.














I complimented them privately on their prowess. "Nice save! " I cheered.







Usually I am not this brave because I have a terrible sense of direction. I can get turned around in my own driveway and run the risk of never finding my way home.

But my husband took care of that by giving me a G.P.S. (a Global Positioning System....or a Great Pride Saver) . So off I went to explore the territory. It was fun.

My G.P.S. has many options for voices. I've programmed him to speak in an Australian accent. I haven't given him a name, but he is very patient with me [and really good looking]. He says "In 300 m. turn right on Smith Street." then in 300 m. he says "Turn right on Smith Street" and I say "No worries mate" and turn. And so we find the way to my destination.

If perchance I don't turn on Smith Street, he doesn't get mad at me and say "Weren't you listening to me? I said SMITH STREET". Nope. There's just a little silence and then he says "Recalculating". And he finds another way to get me to where I am going.

He can find places to eat. He can find the parks. He even shows me which streets I'm passing along the way. It is amazing how much easier it is to navigate with him in the vehicle.

I quite like him. Despite the fact that he can't say "MacDonald" right, (It comes out "Mack Don Alt") and he calls the highway "H.W.Y. 1", there's something so freeing about hooking him up to the charger in the van and wending my way into new territory. Or making my way back home.

He even gives me an estimated time of arrival. I am discovering more and more interesting facts about traveling. Did you know that adding 10 km. extra to your speed limit only subtracts 2 minutes from the whole trip? So it probably isn't worth getting into a sweat about the pokey drivers in the left lane. I haven't figured out if I could program him to sing "Waltzing Matilda" for me as I pass them yet.

Yep, with my Aussie man, I'm ready for anything. Roll down the windows, turn up the music and find an adventure!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Gotta love those "Tom Toms" :) They are so cool. Maybe, you could punch in my address and see how your Aussie man does :) I would like to meet him! lol JC

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom