Party Favors
The planning has begun for a retirement party for a co-worker. I predict it's just a matter of time before I will be blogging something about "what was I thinking?" when I find myself knee-deep preparing for the big affair.I love parties. I find it energizing to plan them. In fact, I get so much energy from brainstorming, it could easily become my drug of choice. I get going about what sorts of fun things we could plan. I sometimes say too many things about what we could do. Everyone turns and nods politely and suddenly I am the "WE" in the sentence.
Next thing I know, "We" are making a memory book. "We" are creating songs. "We" are taking the picture to the cake shop to get it put on the cake which "We" will be
picking up minutes before the party starts. "We" are going to the spa to pick up the gift certificate. By the time the party is over, "We" are in a little ball at the end of the bed, saying to no one in particular how glad "We" are that the party is over.
picking up minutes before the party starts. "We" are going to the spa to pick up the gift certificate. By the time the party is over, "We" are in a little ball at the end of the bed, saying to no one in particular how glad "We" are that the party is over.I know I'm not alone in this. I was talking to a friend about this topic recently, and she nodded her head in recognition of P.P.S..(Party Planners Syndrome). She's been in the same situation many times. She said something to the effect of : "It's like I am in the middle of the ocean. I'm calling out for some one to help me, when I realize that I'm the one holding the life jacket".
Despite the fact party planning is energizing, I have to constantly remind myself, that the end product is going to take a lot of work. Therefore, I have to pace myself. This has taken me many years to recognize. And many more years to do something about it. At one time, I thought I was the answer to the world's problems; now I am more realistic.
There is no cure for P.P.S. However, there are some key strategies for managing it. One strategy has to do with the sign up list. One should keep some duct tape handy to place over one's mouth so one doesn't sign up to do so many things. Also, one must recognize one's skills and not try to do things that are way out of one's skill-set. [One may love flowers, for instance, but loving flowers does not a flower-arranger make. One may be able to make the invitations, and matching tickets, but counting money from selling the tickets may be out.] And another thing about the sign up list: An off-hand comment from another committee member about how one would be great at _____ ,does not obligate one to say one will do it.
Another strategy is to sign up only for those pieces of the party about which one can feel passionately. This means that the process of creating the party will be enjoyed, rather than endured. One can then have the joy of sharing the little bits of surprises with the other committee members along the way. When these secrets are shared, all will find they make the party that much more special. (Like the excitement the planning group shared for a 60th anniversary when the commissioned congratulatory letters from the Queen to the special couple arrived.)
When it comes right down to it, a celebration is more than the hour or three set aside on a certain day. No, the shindig starts with the first stroke of the pen on the minutes stating: "THE PARTY FOR ____________" . The days leading up to it are an integral slice of the festivity pie. Learning to enjoy the process means having the pleasure of creating a memorable occasion, which in turn, creates lots of fun memories along the way. Then when it's over, curling up in a ball at the end of the bed will include the addendum "I'm so glad it's over, but WASN"T that a Party!"

Comments
And I could have written your piece myself, except that I'm not the humorist writer that you are. You DO say it well! And you get right to the heart of the matter.
My party story: "We would like you to bring the cake to the potluck birthday party....just stop in at Foodland and pick one up.. Do you think you could do that???"
Why yes! And then secretly went into PPS mode. I got out my fave recipe, the most time consuming one...Orange Rum Cake. Put the ingred. together Tues night. Took it 36 km. with me so I could garden Wed., while I commissioned my friend D-D if I could come home on my lunchbreak and bake it in her oven. Don't worry about taking it out of the pan. It has to cool a little, and then you drizzle in these juices.
Worked my short nursing shift Wed night, and Thurs packed up my stuff to come 36 km home again. Went to turn the cake out onto the PEDESTAL cake plate, and part of it stayed in the fancy bundt pan. Well, the ingredients were "an arm and a leg" and I wasn't about to throw it out. So, I patched, and patted, and set off for the birthday supper. after I'd drizzled the last lemon shocked glaze over it. I took it in a box. I covered it with a teatowel. I left it in the back porch during dinner.
The hostess was a little antsy. "We're ready to serve dessert".... So I went and got the covered cake, brought it to the table, and before unveiling it, I told my sad story, saying that the birthday girl was so special, and was herself a good cook, and I was proud and wanted to do something to really please her. I unveiled the said "patched and patted" cake.
It was eaten with ice cream, and duly ooohed and aaaahed over, and pronounced just as good as if it had turned out perfect.
Secretly, I probably got more kudos out of my courage than out of the cake..... hmmmmm
clwl, PPS