A little Hon ee



In our family, March is a month of birthdays. I count six on one hand. As each day approaches, I find myself thinking about the birthday girl/boy especially, and planning just the right way to celebrate their journey so far.

Today, I am going to share a few thoughts about a birthday boy. That would be my husband.

I met my husband when I had just entered my twenties. He was still a teenager, and although I thought he was terrible young, I could see that he was very charming.

One of the first conversations I had with him was in at the dish pit, in the kitchen, at the Bible School (with the knife) we were attending. He told me how he and his friend had arrived a few days before Bible School, and booked a hotel which was right in the middle of the red light district of the city. I was shocked but he just laughed it off.

As the term progressed, I found myself hanging out with him - as did many of the other girls. He and his friend bought a station wagon rust bucket which was a comfortable ride for nine or so, and many of the class trips saw them taking passengers to the beach on Saturdays, and into town after classes on other days.

I quickly learned that he had a natural ability with kids. They loved him. He was a youth sponsor at a church, and the kids there were enthusiastic participants in the programs because of him. He had a sense of fun that made being around him magical. One Saturday, he volunteered (or maybe I conscripted him - time has a way of warping actual events) to help me with a kids party of my own. I got permission to invite the kids from the church where I was working, to come for an afternoon of games, and 'tea' (supper). I don't remember much about the events of the afternoon, but I do remember being impressed with his enthusiastic participation. I was so inspired by it, that I wrote him a thank you note and said something to the effect that I was praying that God would give him more opportunities to work with children because he had such a gift in that area. I never dreamed that three of those children that he would impact with God's love would be our own.

My husband didn't have sisters when he was growing up. He has two now, but they came along well after we had our own children. I am sure there have been some steep learning curves along the way, of what it is like to live with females. He has had to learn to indulge my need to move furniture around for interest's sake. He has long since stopped asking questions about why I come out with five bags from the grocery store, when he let me off to get 'milk'. He has become accustomed to making bathroom stops on long trips; thus giving up his own need to keep ahead of all the slow drivers he has passed along the way. He lets me 'flouff' the duvet to get it just right, so that this princess can have a good sleep. He even is good- natured enough to go out into the cold and dark to put up my snowman lights at the end of November, (when everything in him says you shouldn't decorate before December 15) because he knows that it makes me happy.

When you enter into marriage, you are gambling with the rest of your life. Looking back, I have to say that my gamble has paid off. I am blessed to have a husband who is deeply committed to me and our children; who is good-natured; and who injects fun into every day activities. And today, on his birthday, I wish him all the best. Happy birthday Hon!

Comments

Anonymous said…
That was sweet! I would have to say that God never loses in gambling... he knows just how much to put into everything, and what "go fish" card to match that card with! :D Jenm

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom