The Week in Review

"Teach us Lord to number our days".
This has been brought home to me again this week as I learned of the sudden death of a friend's dad. I wish that I had some brilliant things to say. But I am not feeling very brilliant. So I will post instead, a reading that has brought me comfort in times of my own grief.

Many people have asked me about heaven….

I sometimes smile because I do not know any more than they do. When a young man asked if I looked forward to being united with God and those who have gone before me, I made a connection to an old memory.

The first time I traveled with my mother and my sister to my parents’homeland in northern Italy, I felt as if I had been there before. After years of looking through my mother’s photo albums, I knew the mountains, the land,

the houses, the people. As soon as we entered the valley, I said: I know this place. I am home.” Somehow I think crossing from this life into life Eternal will be similar. I will be home.”

Joseph Cardinal Bernardin from

The Gift of Peace



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom