Sisyphusian Philo-soapy


I often think of Sisyphus, a character from Greek mythology, condemned to the eternal punishment by the gods for trickery. He was compelled to roll a huge rock up a steep hill, but before he could reach the top of the hill, the rock would always roll back down, forcing him to begin again.

I wonder, did the gods give Sisyphus any tools to help him roll the rock? And while Sisyphus is rolling the rock up the hill for the umpteenth millionth billionth time, was he talking to himself? If so, was he saying: "Oh why, oh why, am I rolling this rock up the hill? It only rolls down again. Not to mention that I can't find the wedge I'm supposed to have to help me. I wish the gods would stop playing those jokes by hiding it on me...oh...would you look at that? The rock slipped away from me and now, it's rolling
down the hill."

Although the myth doesn't say, I bet the gods passed his punishment onto the next generation. Somewhere in Greek mythology there must be an addendum to this story about a whole passel of "Sisyphus Jr.'s" who were required to roll their own rocks.

I also bet that every mother in the universe can relate to Sisyphus' punishment. A mother's rocks are housework, laundry, bills to be paid, children to remind about manners, putting things away, groceries, homework and room checks, .......the list never ends, just as the Sisyphus never finished the job of rolling the rock up the hill. And there is an unwritten guarantee that mothers from the next generation will inherit the job.

My mother was certainly in the ranks of the 'rock roller'. She sometimes wandered around the house talking to herself while trying to roll the rock up the hill. At these times, she used an Amharic word (language of the Ethiopians) in her self-talk.

እንትን [at least that is what I hope that spelling means! :)]
is pronounced "əntn" or as I fondly think of it " INTUN".
This means "the telephone book".
Or "the spatula".
Or "the fabric softener".
Or even "the office scissors".
Literally it means "whatchamacallit".
Such a handy word.

I remember her looking like she was in a fog as she vainly searched for the item which would propel her onto the next item on her 'to do' list. We would hear her saying in an indistinct singsong: "Where is the እንትን? Has anyone seen the እንትን?. I left it in [insert name of the last place she'd seen the እንትን] .....then a heavy sigh.....and "Give me the tool and I'll do the job".

I have to say that my mom was very faithful in rolling her rock up the hill. And we were just as faithful in making sure that she had rocks to roll. We did our level best to leave a few things under our beds, our boots in the middle of the hall, our homework books on the kitchen counter, to help her out. We would look at each other and shake our heads when we saw her get burdened down by the rock-rolling business. After all, that's what mothers are born to do aren't they?

Well, I can report that I have inherited the rock rolling position in my own house. I, the mom, can been seen wandering around doing exactly what I saw her do.

And like the millions of mothers before me [including my own], I live in the vain hope that one day, when I get it just right,
I will get to the top of the hill
and NEVER have to roll
another rock up
the hill
as....
long as I
L
I
Ve..... Oh look, another dirty sink full of dishes that I didn't make.... Heavy Sigh....Does anyone know where my እንትን is so I can clean them up?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom