To celebrate or not to celebrate? That is the question
For several weeks, I've been hearing comments being made regarding Christmas. I hear two very different sides of this celebration.
The first side has been playing Christmas music for several weeks now. They LOVE Christmas and all that goes with it. They are definitely Santa wannabees.

Because they are techno savy, they substitute LOL (Laugh Out Loud) for HO HO HO, but other than that, you might even confuse them for Santa. When you talk to them, they say things like:
The other side is letting out a collective groan about dragging out their Christmas spirit. If they had their 'druthers', they'd 'druther' let Christmas slide by - until the last minute (o.k., perhaps they would argue about that, but for the "Energizer Bunnies", two weeks before Christmas is the last minute).
They stand around the water cooler, making fun of the other crew. You might hear them say:
So where does that leave you dear cyber reader? Are you an "Energizer Bunny" or a "Sound off Engineer"? I am wondering if there might be room for both underneath the Christmas tree. Perhaps the "Sound Offs" gain some insight from the unabashed joy that this season brings? Is is possible that the Energizer Bunnies would lend some compassion towards those who are celebration-weary?
Will both views turn their eyes to the Reason why the celebration exists in the first place? And will they all bring their wild-eyed excitement and/or their jaded opinions to the manger?
The wise men brought themselves first, and then they lay their gifts at the feet of the little boy who was to be the Saviour. And both the wise men and their gifts were accepted.
Perhaps we too, can bring ourselves and whatever we can find in our hearts to lay at His feet. It may seem to us to be an incomplete or insincere gift, but I know He will accept it and will change it [and our hearts] to become a true picture of what Christmas is all about. After all, He is the One who showed up so that we could celebrate!
It is true also, that He is the One who went to the wedding party and not only joined in the festivities, but provided what was lacking, so that they could enjoy an all-out gala affair.
So dear reader, wherever on the spectrum you find yourself on this day, I truly wish for you, this Christmas and all to follow, that the grace of Jesus will follow you and claim your heart.
The first side has been playing Christmas music for several weeks now. They LOVE Christmas and all that goes with it. They are definitely Santa wannabees.

Because they are techno savy, they substitute LOL (Laugh Out Loud) for HO HO HO, but other than that, you might even confuse them for Santa. When you talk to them, they say things like:
- The music? Love it!!!!!!!!! In fact, I buy a new CD [or two or ...seventeen LOL] every year and start playing i t [them], the minute that Halloween is over! LOL
- The shopping? Start that on January 1st!!!!!! Then I forget what I bought, because I hide it too well so I go and buy more. LOL. [Sometimes I just give the presents to myself too, for good measure! LOL]
- The baking? Well, if I can't find the right recipes in my 1001 recipe books, there's always a recipe exchange going on at work and I can get some there. LOL I love the baking!!!!! I love the sampling!!!!!.. MMM....bring it on! Weight gain? Schmeight gain! LOL
- The planning? Look at all these magazines I have!!!!! I plan to try one thing from every one..There's so many crafts and decorating ideas? I might just have another party to try some more of them! The Christmas tree goes up the 1st of November and I don't take it down until the first of February! LOL
- The stockings? ONE word for that F. U. N. !!!!!! LOVE love, LOVE the stockings!!!!!! They are my favorite part! LOL
- The programs? Those little kids are so cute! I love to see them falling all over themselves and singing "Awake in a MAnger" LOL
The other side is letting out a collective groan about dragging out their Christmas spirit. If they had their 'druthers', they'd 'druther' let Christmas slide by - until the last minute (o.k., perhaps they would argue about that, but for the "Energizer Bunnies", two weeks before Christmas is the last minute).
They stand around the water cooler, making fun of the other crew. You might hear them say:
- The music? Turn that stuff off before I take that CD player and throw it out the window so I can enjoy a "Silent Night".
- The shopping. PULLLEEAASSSEE. I hate that the stores drag out all the decorations at the end of July. It creates shopper fatigue. And why do I need to have one more decoration? Or buy Mrs. Diddleydoo a present when I ha
rdly know her?
- The baking? That's just another excuse to gain weight, and we ALL know that gaining weight ISTHELASTTHING you want to deal with come January. [besides the credit card bills]
- The planning? Why in the world, do I have to be responsible for planning all those programs/meals/presents/trips to see great-grandma?
- Speaking of programs. Don't ask me to go to one more program or I am going to go completely nuts. .....
So where does that leave you dear cyber reader? Are you an "Energizer Bunny" or a "Sound off Engineer"? I am wondering if there might be room for both underneath the Christmas tree. Perhaps the "Sound Offs" gain some insight from the unabashed joy that this season brings? Is is possible that the Energizer Bunnies would lend some compassion towards those who are celebration-weary?
Will both views turn their eyes to the Reason why the celebration exists in the first place? And will they all bring their wild-eyed excitement and/or their jaded opinions to the manger?
The wise men brought themselves first, and then they lay their gifts at the feet of the little boy who was to be the Saviour. And both the wise men and their gifts were accepted.
Perhaps we too, can bring ourselves and whatever we can find in our hearts to lay at His feet. It may seem to us to be an incomplete or insincere gift, but I know He will accept it and will change it [and our hearts] to become a true picture of what Christmas is all about. After all, He is the One who showed up so that we could celebrate!
It is true also, that He is the One who went to the wedding party and not only joined in the festivities, but provided what was lacking, so that they could enjoy an all-out gala affair.
So dear reader, wherever on the spectrum you find yourself on this day, I truly wish for you, this Christmas and all to follow, that the grace of Jesus will follow you and claim your heart.

Comments