Captain Obvious

"Mom", he said " I need to go get some supplies for a project I have to do."
I thought he was talking about a school project. Turns out, it was for school, but it had nothing to do with his classes. "Super Hero" day was coming up, and he wanted to be prepared.
We made the requisite journey to Value Village. It happened to be around Halloween anyway, so the prospect of getting an outfit was fairly heavily weighted on the side of success. I left him to browse while I looked for items that might suit me better.
After a while he came and said that he'd found something. "How much?" was my reply. "40$".
After I picked up my teeth off the floor, I suggested that we try somewhere else. Much as I love my Superhero, there's a limit......
So off we went to another thrift shop. We browsed. And talked about various shirts and hats, and what he'd have to do to alter them to become Superhero-type attire. Of course, all that trying on stuff brought out the voices. The feathered cap brought out the Yankee Doodle Dandy. The Bolo hat brought out the wee chappie. The masquerade mask brought out the mystery man. People started following us around the store, just for the entertainment.
Then, out of nowhere, a pair of black pants appeared on the rack. He took them out and discovered that they had lightning bolts embroidered into the side. And wonder of wonders! There was a battery to light the bolts up. So began the transformation. "I'm Captain Obvious" he said "but it's not that apparent".
We found a black t-shirt which became the backdrop for the logo. And we bought a black cape. And purple hairspray topped off the whole outfit. The total cost came to just under 15$. The budget police were satisfied. So we took it all home to assemble it.
When it came time for the logo, he designed it and we began painting the t-shirt. In came his dad and next thing you know, the work of art was complete.
He is not a child who loves the morning. But the Super Hero in him came out on that Friday. He was up at the crack of "what time is it anyway?" and got himself ready. I took some pictures for posterity and we were on our way. Captain Obvious was ready to light up the hallways of the school.

Comments

Becky said…
Oh, I did catch a glimpse of Captain Obvious out of the corner of my eye! Good job! And only $15!!! That is something to be proud of! (oops, what do you do about those dangling prepositions?!) :)

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom