THE QB


The Football Player was picked up from his practice this afternoon. All seemed well with him at first, until he mentioned in a small voice that some people on the team weren't too happy that he was going to be given some time as a QB in tomorrow's game.


Following the standard speech about proving them all wrong from his dad, [which I suppose was to be a "Go-Get-'EM" talk, but to my motherly ears sounded a little like a chat from the Drill Sergeant, (ARe you Prepared TO be THE BEst YOu CAN be SOn??? Well, ARE YA? )] they headed outside to work on the skills he needs - tossing the football around and creating some scrimmage scenarios so he could be more prepared for his debut.

I thought it best to keep my opinions to myself about whether or not the Football Player felt propped up by the speech. I stayed behind to work on dinner. Every once in a while I peeked out the window to see how the skill set was coming along. Before I knew it, the rest of the family was out there forming a football squad. The football flew through the air. Then it disappeared from my sight. Then it reappeared in the football player's hands as he caught it - no fumbling.

My mother heart soared. Perhaps he'll be the star that they never knew they had.

I went back to preparing supper. I glanced out again in a few minutes. Now the football squad was complete. Kola had arrived on the scene. She is always ready to play ball. Play "Keep away" that is. No one could get it away from her. Tactics were changed.
But she also foiled all the QB calls.
I'm not sure what the play would be named, but it went like this: The team hunkers down to face each other. The QB calls the play. The snapper prepares to pass the ball to the QB. Kola licks the snapper all over his face. The play ends in groans of "Oh, Kolaaaa!!" . The snapper wipes his face with his t-shirt. Everyone stands up and collapses in laughter over how a 60 pound dog can take the pain out of skill-building practice.

Fortunately, the score was close. It ended when the supper bell went. The skill set building will have to wait for another night.
GO TEAM GO!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom