The Flight Begins

I am on a plane. Window seat. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. I feel anxious. Nothing really to pin my feelings on except for a vague sense that I will soon be in a zone where I will have no control.
The plane is not moving. Yet. Preparations are in full gear. Luggage being loaded on the plane. Engine checks. Cross Checks. Overhead compartments double checked.
First the safety demonstration, which I am sure I will never remember if I ever need it. Then the pilot comes on the overhead and announces that we are just waiting for final clearance before this bird can fly. Somehow, I don't feel any better. I wish for a moment, that the final clearance would never come, and we could all just get off the plane, and not have to go on this trip.
After several minutes, the plane jerks a little, and then begins to pull out. The runway is long and it takes us a long time to taxi out to where we will be taking off. I feel all the bumps on the runway. I wonder if it might be possible just to drive all the way there rather than ...no, I guess that would look a little weird. A jumbo jet, driving, rather than flying. I smile at the absurdity of going through a drive through for some fries. I don't suppose you could call that a fly through.
The plane stops. And waits. Other planes are taking off and we are in queue. No one bothers to mentions what number in the queue we are, so all there is to do is stare out the window and wait.
Then, suddenly, the plane shudders and the engines roar to life. The wheels go into super-charged motion and begin to carry us down the last leg of the runway. The shuddering continues and it seems as if the plane may not make it. Then, to everyone's relief, in one swift movement, the wings flap and the wheels fold and we are in the air. I settle back in my seat and prepare myself for the long flight on SCHOOL DAZE AIRLINES.
Comments