SURPRISE
The phone rang a couple of weeks ago. It was my sister. After we had chatted a few minutes, she said "So I was wondering what you have up next week?"
That question could only mean one thing. She was coming to see me!!! YIPPPEEE! Even though it was a shotgun trip - she was only here two full days, - we had "FUN FUN FUN 'till the husband takes the Sienna away. "
She and I grew up together. We know each other pretty well. She knows I can be pretty bossy. She knew better than to argue with me that we should make an appointment for a pedicure. So we did.

Neither did she make a fuss when I took her to a video store to rent a chick flick movie. And when I suggested we go shopping, she didn't say one thing to the contrary.
Actually, the above statements are just for effect. In truth, there aren't many people in the world with whom I share such symmetry. My sister is one of them. We drift in and out of conversation; silence and chatting both treasured equally. She gives me advice, I give her advice, we ask each other's opinions, and yet somehow we give each other enough room to be unique in the relationship. I guess this is a result of rubbing off on each other when we were younger, and recognizing our weaknesses and strengths compliment our friendship rather than threaten it.
I got to show her some of the projects that I have been working on, and of course, we took advantage of the beautiful weather and enjoyed a little trip away one of the afternoons. She helped me find my way to the beach -where we enjoyed
watching the sunset and




took some silly pictures.
We had long chats about everything and nothing, and when all the world's problems were solved, we invented some more so that we could make another pot of tea (even though she doesn't often drink tea).
She told me that her coming meant that she wouldn't have to mail my birthday present! [a beautiful set of coasters with musical instruments on them] Makes complete sense to me. Spend money on a flight so that the birthday present can be hand-delivered. You just can't trust Canada Post these days!!!!!!
We spoke to two of our brothers on the phone, and tried calling our other sister, just for the fun of pretending we were making a conference call. In reality, she was making faces at me across the table while talking on the other phone. I[OK, not really, but again, it's for the effect!]
It was....a wonderful....birthday surprise! I loved every minute of it. Let's do it again soon o.k.?!
That question could only mean one thing. She was coming to see me!!! YIPPPEEE! Even though it was a shotgun trip - she was only here two full days, - we had "FUN FUN FUN 'till the husband takes the Sienna away. "
She and I grew up together. We know each other pretty well. She knows I can be pretty bossy. She knew better than to argue with me that we should make an appointment for a pedicure. So we did.
Neither did she make a fuss when I took her to a video store to rent a chick flick movie. And when I suggested we go shopping, she didn't say one thing to the contrary.
Actually, the above statements are just for effect. In truth, there aren't many people in the world with whom I share such symmetry. My sister is one of them. We drift in and out of conversation; silence and chatting both treasured equally. She gives me advice, I give her advice, we ask each other's opinions, and yet somehow we give each other enough room to be unique in the relationship. I guess this is a result of rubbing off on each other when we were younger, and recognizing our weaknesses and strengths compliment our friendship rather than threaten it.
I got to show her some of the projects that I have been working on, and of course, we took advantage of the beautiful weather and enjoyed a little trip away one of the afternoons. She helped me find my way to the beach -where we enjoyed
watching the sunset and
took some silly pictures.
We had long chats about everything and nothing, and when all the world's problems were solved, we invented some more so that we could make another pot of tea (even though she doesn't often drink tea).
She told me that her coming meant that she wouldn't have to mail my birthday present! [a beautiful set of coasters with musical instruments on them] Makes complete sense to me. Spend money on a flight so that the birthday present can be hand-delivered. You just can't trust Canada Post these days!!!!!!
We spoke to two of our brothers on the phone, and tried calling our other sister, just for the fun of pretending we were making a conference call. In reality, she was making faces at me across the table while talking on the other phone. I[OK, not really, but again, it's for the effect!]
It was....a wonderful....birthday surprise! I loved every minute of it. Let's do it again soon o.k.?!
Comments