The Right Words


I am reading a book at the moment called "The Right Words at the Right Time" by Marlo Thomas. It is a compilation of essays of famous people who share about their lives, and people who encouraged and inspired them with a passing phrase or an insight.

I imagine most of us have a story or two of the right words given to us at crucial moments of our lives.
I went to sleep the other night thinking about different people who have said things to me that helped me get through to the other side of what I was facing, or gave me the courage to go beyond what I thought were my limits.

I thought of my dad who said "Dream big Marn" when I told him I was thinking of going to Australia for Bible School.

I thought of a mentor who suggested that I pray that God would help me "loosen my grip" on a situation I didn't want to let go of.

I thought of the principal at the Bible School who said "Then this will be a momentary Painful Interlude" when I expressed deep doubt that a major decision I had made might be the wrong one.

I thought of my brother who cleared his throat and commented "Well, Marn, I know you probably don't want to hear this, but you ARE doing it" when I was crying on his shoulder about how I just couldn't carry on trying to juggle all the balls in my life.

I thought of someone who suggested I "turn the dial the other way" when I was saying all sorts of negative things about myself. "Make a list of what you bring to the table" was the suggestion.

All of these and more have been benchmarks in my life that I look back on with thankfulness. I am thankful for the people who have spoken into my life with encouragement to carry on, to improve, to trust and have hope.

I hope that I will also take the opportunities to speak into others' lives with the 'right words' at the 'right time'.


Proverbs 25:11 (New International Version)
A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver

Comments

Becky said…
My challenge is to keep my mouth shut ~ sometimes my tongue is swollen with so much bitting going on! Thanks for the encouraging words today. Its good to be back reading your blog, I have always enjoyed it!
Jennie said…
Well, I know that you have often said exactly the right words that I have needed to hear and those words still ring in my ears when I need them! Thank you!

Oh and enjoy your birthday! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom