Nothin'
The only thing wrong with doing nothing is you never know when you’re finished.
This quote by "Anonymous" caught my eye today. I don't know about you, but with me, doing "Nothing" merges into the "Since- I'm -here-I -might- as -wells", and the "Maybe-I-wills" . I consider this a luxury. I also find it satisfying to my soul. "Nothing" can turn into finishing little projects that I haven't quite got to yet, or little bits of re-organizing. I might catch up on emails, play a game, or chat on the phone. Other times, I enjoy spending time at the piano - playing songs that I know, ones that I don't, and throwing in a couple of improvisations. I guess all this proves that you really never do know when you are finished doing "Nothing". But more than that, I know that there's never enough time to do "Nothing".
This brings me to vacations. Why is it that when one mentions that they are going to be on vacation, the first question asked is " Are going somewhere?" Shouldn't this be a taboo question? (Along with "How are you?" or "How much do you make?" or "When are you due?" )
When asked if I'm going somewhere on vacation, I feel a great need to justify the fact that I am taking vacation hours with no other purpose than to take vacation hours. I guess I don't have to feel that way, but there's a part of me that feels a little guilty that I love taking a vacation to do "NOTHING".
Why go anywhere? With the price of gas, and accomodation and food, it makes more sense to stay home and enjoy being around the familiar. This is called a "Stay-cation". You stay home while on holiday. You go outside and sit and look at your house and then when you are tired of that, you go inside and look outside at your garden.
This quote by "Anonymous" caught my eye today. I don't know about you, but with me, doing "Nothing" merges into the "Since- I'm -here-I -might- as -wells", and the "Maybe-I-wills" . I consider this a luxury. I also find it satisfying to my soul. "Nothing" can turn into finishing little projects that I haven't quite got to yet, or little bits of re-organizing. I might catch up on emails, play a game, or chat on the phone. Other times, I enjoy spending time at the piano - playing songs that I know, ones that I don't, and throwing in a couple of improvisations. I guess all this proves that you really never do know when you are finished doing "Nothing". But more than that, I know that there's never enough time to do "Nothing".
This brings me to vacations. Why is it that when one mentions that they are going to be on vacation, the first question asked is " Are going somewhere?" Shouldn't this be a taboo question? (Along with "How are you?" or "How much do you make?" or "When are you due?" )
When asked if I'm going somewhere on vacation, I feel a great need to justify the fact that I am taking vacation hours with no other purpose than to take vacation hours. I guess I don't have to feel that way, but there's a part of me that feels a little guilty that I love taking a vacation to do "NOTHING".
Why go anywhere? With the price of gas, and accomodation and food, it makes more sense to stay home and enjoy being around the familiar. This is called a "Stay-cation". You stay home while on holiday. You go outside and sit and look at your house and then when you are tired of that, you go inside and look outside at your garden.
Or you spend time doing the little things that you never get to. Or you go to the local beach with your family and friends. Or you kick back and relax and watch a t.v. program that you never get to see.
I am giving everyone out there in cyber space permission.
It's o.k. to enjoy this type of holiday. In fact, its more than o.k. it's great! Doesn't everyone long for extended periods of time to choose what they will do? Why go anywhere to do it? Stay home people! Enjoy your 'stay-cation'. You'll go back to work happy and rested and I guarantee that within a couple hours of being at work, you'll want to book another one.
As for me, I am totally enjoying doing a little bits of nothing for long periods of time. I don't know when I will be finished doing "NOTHING". But if you want, you can make an appointment, and I'll see if I can fit you in.
Comments