Shift + Ctrl + Right Arrow Key


I am told that if you press "Shift" + Control + Right Arrow Key, and then the Delete Key it will Highlight ...delete....delete....delete....all you shouldn't say. . For the purposes of this post, I'll just call it the Highlight ...delete....delete....delete....button. This happens to be my most favorite computer trick of all. It saves time. It saves face. It goes like this: typing, typing typing, asdjflkas;dfjask;ldjk ..... oh man, that's not right...........Highlight ...delete....delete....delete....typing, typing typing, asdjflkas;dfjask;ldjk...no that's not good either .........Highlight ...delete....delete....delete....try, try again.

What would be even better is if I could use this in conversations that go bad. How much nicer would life be if this button was available when"AWKward" conversations happen. I could just think: "Wow. That went badly. Highlight ...delete....delete....delete....". and the conversation never happened. Or I could Highlight ...delete....delete....delete....before I responded and instead choose just the right answer. I bet you know what I mean.

For example, I run into someone at the grocery store. They are suddenly struck with a bit of guilt over the fact that they are having a party and they invited everyone in town except me. "Oh, hey Marni, just wanted you to know that that reason why we're not inviting you to the party was that we were short on space. But if someone cancels, you're first in line".
And I sit there looking at the person thinking:

"This would be so much easier if you'd just emailed me that same explanation, so I can figure out the right response, instead of sitting here looking like a deer in the headlights because what I really want to say is....Highlight...delete....delete....delete....."


Or someone comes up to me just as I stand back to admire the display I've set up, and say "You weren't wanting to put that vase there were you?" And then I have to decide if I stand up for my choice to put the vase there, or half-heartedly chuckle and say "Highlight ...delete....delete....delete...."

Or even worse: I'm going through a difficult time - dealing with loss and grief, and someone puts their arm around my shoulder and and says "Sorry you're going through a hard time, but that's life, and the sooner you get used to it the better."

And I'm sorely tempted to Highlight..delete....delete....delete....them.

Yep, Highlight ...delete....delete....delete.... would really be handy.

I have friends who are very good at fielding AWKward. They can think on their feet and are so good at diffusing situations which are potential show-stoppers. When we talk about the experiences they've had and they tell me how their conversations unfolded, I stand in awe of their creative and non-defensive responses. They obviously do not need Highlight ...delete....delete....delete....

But as for me, I need this button. It takes me more time to think of an appropriate response. If I try to think on my feet, I'm likely to trip over my shoelaces. At least with the computer I can sit in front of the monitor and type any old thing that comes to my mind and then Highlight ...delete....delete....delete....the parts that are not socially appropriate.

And that's all I've got to say about that......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom