Pinky Swear

It all started because of Mother's Day. I wasn't going to. The weather is cold and more like November than May. I'd already had a full day of ferrying kids around and picking up their friends and stopping for ice cream for the whole van-load of them. I'd mixed in some poking around at garage sales and taken my adopted mom out for a Mother's Day treat.

But then, my husband said he needed rabbit food anyway. So off we went to the plant store to buy some basket stuffers. After all, this is the weekend I traditionally go and get my plants!

Those stores are dangerous. This particular one has aisles and aisles of annuals, perrenials, climbers, creepers, shrubs, bushes, grasses, and trees. I feel happy just wandering around, feeling the plants, smelling them, and soaking up the buzz of anticipation of all those shoppers taking home their choices to spruce up their living spaces. I can never get out of there without spending my wad. But I actually love it because the pay-off is so enjoyable. I get paid in blooms every time I drive in the driveway.

Since he was with me, my husband gave me suggestions about what I should do in terms of spacing plants. I tend to buy one or two of lots of plants. This time, we concentrated on buying quite a few of just a couple types so that we don't have to coax a 45 cent plant (teeny-tiny) into thinking that it is a $5.77 (fully grown) one.

What I was the happiest about is that we bought jasmine. I love jasmine. At our other house, I planted two of them on either side of the trellis and it grew fast and furious and the energizer-bunny flowers just kept on blooming. I was so sad when the wind storm blew it all over and I lost it all. Now I have it again.

We brought our treasures home and then looked for a lattice we still had from our former dwelling. The plan was that we would tack it up and plant the jasmine strategically to cover up the underbelly of the deck. We didn't end up finding it. But we did manage to rearrange some pretty heavy antique equipment and we cleaned out the manure spreader that a former tenant had filled with huge bags of pine needles. (It's easy to get distracted around this place)
Then company arrived, so everything is on hold again. But don't worry little plants! I know where you are and I'm going to get you in the right spots real soon. Promise!

Comments

Fiona said…
Happy Mother's Day, Marni. I hope you have a great day and that you feel celebrated.
Anonymous said…
Dear Marni,

Although I know that for a fact your Mother's Day did not go as well as you wanted, I hope that you still feel appreciated. Because I know that without a fact that without you my life would never been ble to be what it is without you! You are my biggest fan at volleyball games and soccer games. I would always be able to tell when my mom was there at the games because she owuld bethe one with the loudest cheer and the bigggest scream when something good happened. Mom you know how to cheer me up and get to the deepest parts of my heart. So on this mother's day I hope that you can see how much you have impacted my life. I love you mom with all my heart! And I think that you deserve much more then what you have ben given! Love you forever and always! Dolly

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom