Wasn't that a Party!


My Dad's 80th birthday celebration has come and gone. As my mom used to say, "the captains and the kings have departed." All us siblings [along with about 130 invited guests] descended on my Dad's place last weekend for the party. Now he is left with the rest of the food and various items to return to their respective places . [And he is probably wondering where some of the household items have disappeared to - keep looking Dad - did you check the third drawer down on the left? ]

We are all thinking "Wasn't THAT a party"!
It was SO great.

One of my jobs was to make the invitation and to keep track of the RSVP list. The RSVP card was in postcard style. My address was on the back and the front was left blank for a birthday wish or comment by the recipient. That was the best part for me. First off, it's lovely to receive mail that doesn't require getting out the cheque book. But mainly, it was a sneak peak for me into the impact that my Dad has had over his lifetime on so many people in so many different places and times. Relatives, co-workers, students, neighbours, fellow church goers, and various ministry people wrote in to say they would be coming to help celebrate, or they regretted not being able to attend. And on the front, they commented on my Dad's faith, his integrity, his reaching out to others, and wrote many lovely wishes for him. It was like reading a living legacy. My Dad has quietly gone about living out his faith as James instructed: Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. [James 1:27 ] I felt privileged to be able to see all those comments before the party.
One of my brothers made a Power Point presentation with tons of pictures of my Dad and our family. He culled them from pictures we'd mailed and emailed him. It was playing while the guests arrived and then after the program. We enjoyed it several times after at Dad's place as well. It's amazing the way technology helped all of us add to this part of the program. Just a click of the button and it was there.

Another highlight was where the grandkids shared something for Grampa or about Grampa during the program. Several times, it was mentioned how my Dad loves to make jokes that no one else gets. He still laughs and enjoys it enough for the both of them. My neice said "My Grampa is always so happy....it's like..... a happy bomb went off inside of him or something". A good description. I've never seen my Dad let life's troubles get to him. He has an amazing ability to leave them with God -as he says - "God's going to be up all night anyway".

All the grandkids thanked Grampa for being there for them. This too was part of the living legacy brought into focus. Our family is so spread out and to have your own sentiments from your own experiences echoed by others confirmed how my Dad has made sincere efforts to be involved in any way he can in the lives of his kids and grandkids. [sidebar: I know that my Dad isn't just there for his kids and grandkids...he is there for so many people...this was echoed by so many people at the party]

Before the party, I decided I would enjoy the process. I easily become distracted when there is a big event about being ready for the big event. Then it goes so fast and there's some emptiness inside because it was such a short time. This time, I turned the dial the other way and enjoyed the process. Simple things like going and ordering a cake, or zipping off to pick up some last minute supplies had just as much meaning because we were working on it together.


And in between, catching up with loved ones meant so much too. My aunt who has taken us under her wing all these years came to help us celebrate. We spent some fun times visiting and laughing and sharing together. Seeing my brothers and sisters and neices and nephews again was very special. And being able to catch up with a highschool buddy meant so much. "My cup overflows".

If you come to an event that my brothers and sisters organize, prepare to be entertained. Mostly this happens as you watch how they go around and set things up for any kind of an event. For example, one person comes in and sets the chairs one way and the minute they leave, the next person comes in, decides that's not efficient enough and rearranges the chairs. Then they leave and the first person comes back and puts things in a third configuration which incorporates both their visions. Set up can take a VERY long time. There are six siblings.

After the main party, we had another party for one of my brothers who had a big birthday. This took place in another part of town. We'd decorated a couple nights before so it was ready for us when we arrived. Getting that many people to move was a bit of a challenge, but again, it was fun. Forgetting the salad dressing and dashing back for it, running out to pick up the cake, watching slides of my brother growing up...mmmm....mmmm...mmmmm...good times.

The following day, we all went to church and then had another meal (Ethiopian food this time) before we disbanded. The weekend was short and sweet. I admit it was bittersweet having to say good bye after such a packed-in and incredibly short weekend. I felt both sad and happy. Who knows when we will all see each other again? But it was a wonderful celebration and I will savor the memories I brought home with me. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU DAD!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Marni - that was grand - I TRULY WISH I COULD'VE BEEN THERE! and indeed had planned on it - but as fate would have, couldn't follow thru. And, it wasn't ONLY I that wanted to attend, but also Sheila wanted to revisit with her "adopted" family! Whew, I'll bet there was at least a slight air of "bedlam" at the festivities with that many attendees - Oh I'll bet it was GRAND. Unkie is such a cool, suave, understanding, gentleman, that I envy your family relationship. Thanks for the BD info update - Mug

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom