Change

As I write this, the clock will spring ahead one hour. Ah yes, it's that time of year folks. Time Change weekend. Some people resist time change. I am not sure why. Perhaps it is like going to sleep on the opposite side of the bed. Or putting the silverware in a different order in the drawer. Or trying to set a resolution. Humans are beings of habit. And if the habit has to change, then we resist. [We also tend to forget new habits and resort to old tactics for comfort sake. Resolution/Schmezolution.]

I wonder what the trick would be to embrace change instead of resisting it? An open mind? I am not sure that's the answer because having an open mind doesn't always result in changing behavior. Action. Ah, that's it. That's the answer.
When the clock changes, it demands a response. An action. You get to sleep longer, or you have to get up earlier. When you change up the silverware, you have to reach for the knives with a different hand and you can't let yourself go into "the zone" as you set the table. If you sleep on the other side of the bed, you have to go through a whole new set of motions to fall asleep.
Remember the Serenity Prayer? The Original version by Reinhold Niebuhr says:

God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other. Talk about an action prayer. {Of course, this is easier said than done. One day I will be serene. Right now, I still run around trying to change things that are impossible to change...just to see if I will make history.}

A few times I've done song composition with my groups around this theme. We make a list of things we can change and things we can't. In between we sing familiar songs and change something about them. It is quite fun.

The discussion is always lively around the things we cannot change. Things like, the weather (and how many times do we try to change the weather by our comments?). Or how old we get (I love the saying "You could lie in bed a whole year and still turn a year older" - in other words, get outa bed and take some chances pal!). We can't change other people (but boy do we ever give that the old college try at times!).

I don't really have a final point. It's late. Almost one o'clock by the computer clock and almost two by the clock on the wall. Time change is about to take place. Nothing I can do about it. Nothing I can do about the fact that I slept lightly and then woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so I am sending off a blog into cyberspace...while I wait for the sleepiness to creep back into my bones. I feel the serenity seeping into me as I blog.....


ps If you want to try the song it goes like this (you get to make up the tune, since you aren't sitting in the group I'm running and I change the tune every time I sing it)

You can change your____________

You can change the ______________

You can change the ______________ and _____________

You can change you ___________

Change your _______________
Change the __________ or ____________________
You can change ____________
Change _____________

Change_______________
Change _____________ and _______________
But the one thing you can never ever hope to change is _______________________________

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom