Signs of Spring


  • I stopped by Timmie's yesterday for lunch and got a large tea and noticed "Roll Up The Rim". That's a sure sign of spring. [When my second son was very small and couldn't read, he asked his Dad to read what he'd found under the rim. My husband told him it said "Play again, LOSER". Apparently it stuck in his head because he went up to some complete strangers a little while later when he saw them rolling up their rim and told them point blank "You what that says? It says 'Play again, LOSER' ". Now, every time we roll up the rim, or get a game card of any kind, we open it up and repeat this family joke. In a strange way, it makes us all feel better that we are not driving away in the brand new SUV or watching the massive TV screen. Personally, I say "show me the money" but that's for another blog.]

Other signs of spring?


  • Well, my snowdrops have come up and are blooming their little hearts out. The crocus (is the plural Croci? or croaked?) enjoyed the sunshine so much on the weekend that they began to bloom as well. I guess they don't want to be outdone by the snowdrops.

  • I broke down and brought the snowmen in and put away the lighted snowflakes. Never mind little guys, you only have to wait 8 more months to poke your head out again.

  • My husband [Edward Scissorhands] is busy pruning all the trees and that gives the kids something to do in the afternoon - pick up all the branches and take them to the burn pile. Which is another sign of spring. A burn pile, burning.

  • Did I mention my new gumboots? I am so going to enjoy gardening in them. They are bright green. Whoo hoo! I won't lose myself in the garden. Well, ok. I might lose myself, but only in terms of time.

  • And my T4 arrived. Let the Russian Roulette begin. I liked my sister's tax form. It said "Tell us how much you made. Send it all in". Ok I didn't like it, but doesn't it sort of feel that way sometimes. You might as well cut a cheque. They're going to take it anyway.

  • Oh yes, the ladybugs. I always know it is spring when I begin finding ladybugs around the house. It is one of the idiosyncrasies of this house

  • One lonely stupid fly who can't quite decide where to land because he/she/it can't fly up high enough.
  • We opened our window last night to let some fresh air in and the bull frog was singing.

I'm sure there's other signs that I have missed. But I am going to keep my eyes and ears open. Only a month or so and I can hang my baskets. Can't wait!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom