True Confessions

Do you ever look at something for a long time and the more you look at it, the more it bothers you? So you finally do something about it? To others it seems a random act. But in reality, it has been needing attention for such a long time and no one else lets it bother them and they aren't even sure why it bothered you so much to deal with it.

I am talking here about such things as items left on the stairs - waiting for someone to take them to their rightful place. Or perhaps, it is the 2ft square of messed up paint job that needs to be rectified. I am guessing that some of you know what I am talking about. Or it might be a project that needs doing that sits right in the middle of your walk way and every time you walk by, it bothers you that it needs doing.

Sometime in the summer, I was seized with a great need to fix something in the house that had been bothering me for a long time. No one else had mentioned it. No one even seemed to care. But it stared at me for several years, daring me to do something about it.

It was one of those moments when in my great need to get it done, I didn't care how much it cost. I had a little bit of a coupon and I was going to use it. So I did. I tried not to flinch when I was told how much it was going to be. I knew if my husband found out, he wouldn't understand a) why I had it done, and b) why I had spent so much money getting it done.

So I did what any good wife does. I didn't mention it. I remained very quiet. Mentally, I began calculating just how I was going to rob Peter to pay Paul. And I have to admit, I felt guilty. We have a bit of a rule that if we are going to spend a lot of money, we talk to each other about it first. I hadn't even bothered to check with him. It was one of those moments when I wished that I had but I didn't have the temerity to do so. I didn't want him to say no, so I didn't ask.

The day I found out the project was done, my husband called me from his cell. "I have good news" he said. When I asked him what it was, he told me that he'd bought a motor bike for the boys. "Oh." I said. (not being a fan of motor bikes in the first place). "How much did it cost?"
When he told me, I smiled. "I have good news for you too" I said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom