The Tooth of the Matter

Tomorrow, I am going to the dentist. The words "tooth ache", and "dentist", fill me with a mix of "how bad could it be" and "oh man, I bet it's going to be worse than I thought".

I have always tried to be brave when it comes to my teeth. After all, I survived braces. I had 6 teeth pulled to have the braces put on. [small mouth,...believe it or not....too many big teeth...when they told me that, I almost felt like neighing like a horse .....]. I have had fillings. I have had cleanings and I even survived a root canal. But I find that as I get older, I dread the visits more and more.

I hope my dentist realizes it's nothing personal. I am sure he is a fine young man who loves his family, and gives to the poor. It's just all the paraphernalia around teeth I hate. It's the needles. It's the sound of the drill. It's the taste and feel of metal. It's having to tolerate foreign items in my mouth. It's not being allowed to swallow for fear that a piece of something-or-rather will slide down my throat causing me to choke. And to top it off, it's the music. That music. It's horrible. Please don't play "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This" while I am in the dentist chair. That's just wrong. How about just some white noise instead. Maybe then I could go to my happy place while you root around in my mouth. [pun intended]

Then there's the story of my root canal. To be honest, it was embarrassing. The dentist told me I had to get a root canal. He did try to ease me into the news. I admit, it's a little easier hearing bad news from a good looking guy who seems to genuinely care about your fears of extended tooth care. (Ha, that's a good one! Extended tooth care...for old teeth...) He gave me lots of pats on my shoulder and reassurances about how it was going to be more like having a really big filling. He went to great lengths to give me a detailed description of the process. He probably was thinking "knowledge is power". Personally, I thought he could have left out a few details. I don't really want to know what you are going to do with the root. And you know what, I'm not going to remember all the technical words you used. Thanks though..

I had been told by a root-canal survivor to ask for Valium to help take the edge off of my anxiety. Did you know dentists can prescribe medication? So I asked, and was reassured that would be no problem, but then, just to be sure, I reiterated my request, and again was told, I'd be given a prescription before I left. Not a problem. Then I asked the dental assistant after he left just to be sure that I'd have it on hand. She assured me that it would be waiting for me at the desk. She probably made a mental note of talking about me in the lunch room. Honestly lady, maybe you need to take some Valium about getting your Valium prescription.

Later that week, I told a nurse friend of mine about getting Valium to get through my root canal. She told me I'd be better off the get Ativan, because it is sub-lingual, which is nurse talk for putting it under your tongue to dissolve.

So when I went to fill the prescription, I had the pharmacist call the dentist to see if the prescription could be changed. Yes, I know what you are thinking. After all the fuss about Valium, she actually had the nerve to call the dentist to get the prescription changed??? Well, you know what...I was really nervous....

I wonder now, if the dentist prescribed an extra dose of Ativan. Here's why.

I got through the procedure and it wasn't as bad as I thought (keeping in mind I was heavily medicated). And for a whole year, I thought it was my first bicuspid [I looked that word up] that had been treated but it wasn't. It was the tooth behind that one. I just hope I didn't say anything incriminating while I was getting the root canal done. Fortunately, dentist never really know what you are saying anyways with all that stuff they stick in your mouth, not to mention the rinse and spit routine.

So tomorrow, I am in for another round. I am a little worried. But at least I know enough to ask for the right meds. I will have to make a mental note just to ask for it once this time.


Next Day : Addendum: No need for meds. Apparently, I just wasn't through with the sinus infection. Tooth roots and sinuses are very close neighbours. Although, Ativan might be in order, given the energy level of the teenagers in my house.

Comments

Anonymous said…
man, I can relate--whew! glad when it is over.

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom