Signs of the TImes

I am at my desk. At least I think it is my desk. It is covered in various papers that I have to deal with and haven't. Why is that do you think???? Well, I would love to give a million excuses but I only have one reason. I haven't done anything about it in a very long time. Since last year sometime actually. (What a relief that "last year" sounds worse than it really is, since this is January 11)
A cursory glance reveals a paper on which I had drawn a diagram for my son in an attempt to share a life lesson. There are coupons which are now expired, clipped to help me save money. There is a number of bills...oh yes, I guess I have to pay them sometime this month ...is it the end of the month yet?? Maybe I'll just wait until then. There are pictures sent to me at Christmas time which need to be popped into albums. There's a singing Christmas card. What advice do you have about that? Should I keep it? Try and salvage the singing part? Throw it out? It cost someone 7$ to buy it. Oh, look, there's the computer mouse. I should be able to use the computer more easily now that I've found it....Applications for camp. Articles to show my daughter who is wanting an international adventure this summer. Expired rewards cards. A sheet of marking tabs to use on a favorite book. Tax receipts. The list goes on and on.
The thing is, this is just a microcosm of the whole house. No matter which room I wander into, I know I will find the same. Things need to be dealt with and I don't have the "want to" for getting it all done.
This is decision time folks. Will I use a few minutes to deal with a few things? Or will I bury my head in the piles and go back to bed?
Whenever I have a panic attack about these things, I find it easiest to set the timer for seven minutes and see what I can do until the timer goes off. That way, I have an out. If I can't go on after seven minutes, I have done what I set out to do. If I get stuck into it (as they say in Australia) then I carry on and usually find it wasn't as bad as I feared when I was stuck in procrastination mode. But I am at a cross roads. I should....but I don't feel like it.....oh all right......Ready....Set......
Maybe, I should make a cup of tea first.....
Comments