Shoes


I just bought a great pair of shoes. In an unscientific survey, I notice that many times people comment about some one's shoes as often as they comment on a new hairdo or a great shirt.

Now, I'm no Imelda Marcos but I have to admit, that if I could, I'd buy a lot of really great shoes. I suppose I could go to a psychoanalyst to find out why exactly shoes appeal to me. But I am going to save a few dollars and analyze it myself.

Shoes are part of a personal statement. They state how you are feeling, who you are feeling like, and how comfortable you are with yourself. Sometimes they say just how busy you are. Or they shout out you are in a party mood. Or perhaps a "don't mess with me mood". Some people don't have a consciousness about their shoes. I've just become aware of it in the last several years. Perhaps I don't have enough to think about, but nevertheless, I've learned a few things about shoes recently.
In the movie "In Her Shoes", one of the main characters is asked why she has a closet full of shoes and most of them haven't been worn. The statement is made "Look, if you're not gonna wear them,don't buy them. Leave them for somebody who's gonna get something out of them." Her reply is telling. "I get something out of them. When I feel bad, I like to treat myself. Clothes never look any good. Food just makes me fatter. Shoes always fit."
Amen sister! B.C. 1982-1990 (before children), I could go into a clothing shop and put on outfits in the size that I was, and walk away from them because I didn't like the style on me. The result of having a child is like having an earthquake hit your body and everything settles in a different direction. The more children, the more directions there are to settle in one's body. Clothes shopping became an exercise in futility followed by some heavily medicating chocolate ice cream.
The one part of my body not affected by the body- shifting was my feet. So yes, if I want to go shopping and not come home ripping my hair out about all the clothes I tried on that didn't fit, I go directly past the clothing aisles, I do not collect 200$, and I head straight for the shoe aisle.

Over the years, I have had an assortment of shoes...
The Boss-type shoes. They clip clop down the hallway on their way to the latest meeting where they will be discussing the latest trends in health care. [Hopefully they are not on their way to fire you]. They belong with Bluetooth Technology.

There are the "love the world shoes". They are trendy and fun. They don't care for how practicality. In a rainstorm, you are bound to have soaked feet, but you are guaranteed a happy day when you wear them, because they are just that fabulous.

Then there are the "Pick-up- your- son- after- his -band- gig" shoes. Usually, they go with your little black dress that you haven't had time to take off because you didn't have time to change after the party before he called to say he needed a ride. It's very impressive when you walk into the school with this get up. It usually signals your son that it is time to "get out" as fast as you can before your mother completely embarrasses you by showing your friends the baby photos in her wallet.

I know, I know, this topic is a bit like a Pandora's box. [I wonder what kind of shoes Pandora had in that box?!] ....There are so many directions I could go in this post. .......
Quotes about shoes ["if the shoe fits, it's ugly"].......


Stories of my favorite shoes [my Rocket Dogs...oh soooooo cutee and ever so much fun to wear...], .......


Shoes I was embarrassed to wear [ the saddle shoes I had to wear when we came back from overseas. I think they were hand-me-downs, but no one was wearing them in 1973 except for me],.......
Shoes that I wish I hadn't bought....[thinking I wasn't getting anything for Christmas that year, I bought them on a whim and then never wore them out in public because I hated them and associated them with feeling depressed]

I am guessing out there in cyberland some of you readers have your own shoe stories. Maybe this will spark some of your own memories. ... as for me, I am going to lie on my bed with my new shoes tucked under my pillow and dream of the excitement of getting up tomorrow morning to put them on.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom