If I look organized, am I really?


I am not the most organized person I know. However, I have become, a student of organization. I struggle against clutter and piles of paper, and messy drawers etc. Martha Stewart would be in that "Superdy Duperdy organized" category. But then again, Martha has a company which I imagine includes some very efficient secretaries, accountants, cleaners, shoppers and chauffeurs. On any given day, I am at least two of those - and many more - so if I don't have it all together, I refuse to go on a guilt trip.
When I have my ducks in a row, so to speak, I do feel a certain sense of accomplishment that I never get from say, staying in my jammies, watching t.v. in the middle of the day. So I like to try out ideas or products and often look through websites and magazines for what might help me do my jobs more efficiently. This is mainly so that I can get to that "Boy, I feel great about what I have accomplished" feeling. And when I find something that works, I am more than happy to pass it on. So that's what I am doing today. Passing my little bits of stuff I have read or learned onto you cyber -readers. FWIW (For what it's worth - just learned that one from my big sis.)

Ideas for keeping the kitchen current:
On the Oprah website, the organizing guru said that you should take all your kitchen tools and put them in a box. When you need them, you take them out of the box, and they go in the drawer or in the tool organizer - which ever you have. After a month, whatever tools you haven't used, you get rid of.
I think this is a marvelous idea, except for the occasional tools. I'm sorry, but the turkey baster doesn't get used that much in my household - except for the odd time when I am making turkey...hmmmm when would that be??? Oh yes, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I need that in the drawer for those two occasions. For those of you poo-pooing the ideas of the organizing guru, he did address this. He says that if it is an occasional tool, they are allowed back in the drawer. But the absolutely useless tools (like the peeler I bought last year when I was desperate), should find another home...like the thrift shop. Then again, they are always handy for a good game of "guess the useless tool".

Ideas for organizing your life
Another blogger [http://kathie.squarespace.com/journal/] introduced me to http://www.tadalists.com/ It is a fairly straightforward system. You register and then when ever you want, you can make a list of whatever it is that you are thinking of. You can share the list with others (in case you had a meeting about fundraising) or you can email the list to yourself as an added reminder. The coolest thing about this site is that when you are finished something and check it off, you watch the screen and it physically moves the item from the "to-do" list to the "ta-done" list. That in itself is motivation enough to accomplish something. Last week, for instance, I sent in my Extended Health Forms that I had been putting off for several months. Yahoo! GOOD for me! Check!

Well, that's two ideas that have been percolating in my little brain lately. Do you have some that you want to share? Feel free to leave a comment. TTYS.FWIW. LOL.
p.s. oh, yeah, one more thing. Every household deserves a front loading washer and dryer. Wow! That's increased efficiency in laundry about 200%. Only downside? You still have to fold and put away. But boy can you ever fit a lot in there.

Comments

Jennie said…
Well, I know that I have learnt most of my organizational facts from you or from the magazines you've given me (I miss the trading of Real Simple)...so thank you, Organization Guru! :)
Anonymous said…
I'm a big time organizer. I can't stand clutter. I routinely go through cupboards and drawers and get rid of the stuff nobody's using.

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom