Favorites this Christmas



You know, it's a week before Christmas. I know you know that. I just had to say it as a way to start my explanation. I am so not ready. [My mother should be calling me anytime now about my pathetic grammar.] But really, I am not even close to being ready. It probably should concern me, but every year at this time, I know that I feel the same way. Truth is, I simply will never be "truly ready".
A co-worker pointed that out to me last week when I was telling her how I felt like I had so many things to do to get ready for Christmas and I just didn't know how I would fit them all in. "You feel like this every year" was her comment. Obviously she's worked with me for a few years with the same refrain echoing throughout the halls of my work place. So since that comment, I have decided to relax into the fact that I won't be able to fit it all in. I simply won't be able to. I am not even going to feel the least bit guilty about it either.
Here's another little surprise. Overall, since I made that decision, I can truly say that I have been enjoying the Christmas season. Yes there's lots of things I haven't done. This year, I am celebrating with programs and concerts and involvement in activities which have asked for my time. These things have taken priority over baking, decorating, card-sending and picture-taking I thought I would be doing. I have become acutely aware that this season of my life is going to be short - I won't always have concerts to attend or recitals to plan. So drinking in the celebrations I am involved in right now, in this moment of time.
Here's a list of some of the favorites of the celebration thus far. I hope you have your own. I hope that you will enjoy your celebration of Christmas too. If you don't have your own, and need to borrow some of mine, I give you permission. My list includes:
  • Shopping trips with the family,
  • Cups of hot chocolate to celebrate end of the successful concerts.
  • Learning songs to play at various programs.
  • Picking up kids from the banquet and enjoying their comments on the entertainment as we made our way home.
  • Dropping everything to take a little trip out of town with a dear friend.
  • Stopping at various Christmassy shops and drinking in the colors and arrangements.
  • Treating myself to two new Christmas albums.
  • Enjoying a coffee shop-hop with a new friend. [ which we mixed up and called "coffee hop-shopping" - sure to be a phrase to use again]
  • Watching three feel-good Christmas movies in a row - the ones where you know exactly how it's going to end, but it still is deliciously fluffy and fun to watch.
  • Listening to Kindergarten kids explain Christmas - did you know that the three wise men brought crafts and Frankenstein to Jesus?

Merry Christmas Everyone! Don't forget the reason for the season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wouldn't have missed it for the world

Freedom